Mowing Times

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Sep 21, 2006.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone. I'm doing a little survey work and wanted some input. Please answer the following question.

How long would it take you to mow the following size lots. All the lots are your basic residential lot. Just assume whatever your average customers lot. I'm trying to get a little diversification. Don't include trimming or anything else, just how long it would take you to unload your mower mow the area and reload the mower. Please include what Brand, deck size, horsepower, and type of mower you would be using.

1. 10,000 square feet.
    2. 20,000 square feet.
    3. 30,000 square feet.
    4. 40,000 square feet.
    5. 50,000 square feet.

Thanks for all of your input. Please just type your mower info at the top and then the numbers 1-5 and the time next to it. Please be as honest as you can.

thanks again.

2. lsylvain

Come on guys, 5184 views of a post about something you can make yourself for a JD mower and 48 post, but only 66 views and 0 posts about something that may actaully prove helpful to people? If everyone puts down their estimate with their mower we can then get some information about what mowers prove to be faster than others.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I can tell you that my dad's property is 200x200'. It's got an averege size house on it, a 40x48' shop, about a dozen trees, a swingset and clothesline, and a few other small obstacles.

Mowing only, I haven't actually timed it. But I'm betting about 35-40 min mowing only. This would be a 48" TTHP with a 19HP Kawi.

4. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

I did this a while back on my own house. The lawn itself is about 11,800 square feet give or take a hundred. Anyways it took me just under 45 minutes to mow it with my 21" Toro walk behind. worked out to 4.4 sq ft/second.

5. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

By myself, I average 30 minutes per lawn to mow, edge trim where needed and blow. This is for average sized lawns around charlotte NC

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

this is a meaningless question. that is why you have almost no responses.

I do two properties on Thursday, almost right next door to each other.

One is 43,000 sq foot lot
    The other is 60,000 sq ft.

The smaller one has tons of landscaping and almost no grass, maybe 15k and takes me about 10 minutes to mow.

The other one is mostly grass and takes almost 45 minutes and that is if the bahia is co-operating, if the grass is tall and / or dry, that could easily go up to 60 minutes.

If you are trying to figure out where the easy money is, it is in lots with less than 8k sq ft of turf and no fences and wide open, or the primarily landscaped yards that require 8 minutes of 21" work.

But good luck getting a tight route of those.

7. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

15000 sq ft/600sec = 25sqft/sec
    60,000 -5000 to account for house, driveway and/or anytrees, bushes in property. 2700 sec=45 min and 3600 sec=60 minutes
    55000 sqft/2700 sec = 20 sqft/sec or 55000 sqft/3600 sec=15 sqft/sec

How big a lawn mower do you use in those lawns? just out of curiousity. This way we can calculate the average mph that your mower was going when you mowed this properties.

I'm curious about this because I'm doubtful when someone on this site mentions going at 10+ mph when mowing. As an example a 60 inch mower going at 10 mph should be cutting around 73 sqft/sec or around 59 sqft/sec if taking account an 80% efficiency rate.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

60" ZTR

my most efficient property is 4.25 acres and last time I cut it it took 1 hour 20 minutes of mowing or about 38 ft/ sec. It would be faster, but there some slopes that I have to slow down for and some areas that are always overgrown. 80% is full stick mowing.

9. lsylvain

This isn't a pointless question. It has nothing to do with easy money is has to do with the mower. I want feedback from people using different mowers and the times it takes to do different size lots. Lets say for example you have 2 60" ztr mowers different brands perhaps the dealer says that one has a max speed of 8mph and the onther only 7.5 mph naturally you assume that the 8 mph will cut more grass in less time, but if the cut quality is not as good as the slower one and therefor have to mow at 6mph on the "faster" mower and your can mow at 7.5 with the "slower" mower your extra .5 mph quated by the dealer is useless. Or say the same situation except the speed is the same but the deck sizes are 60 and 52, but the 52 is is faster in the turns for whatever reason say the 60 is really bad about tearing up the grass in the turns so you have to go slower to avoid messing up your customers grass so you can actually cut more grass with the 52 over teh 60. These are just hypothetical situations I am useing as examples.

People on this site are always bragging about how their mower is so great and is so fast etc. etc. I simply want information that backs up these claims so that myself and other interested people can use this information when purchasing a new mower. To put it another way, I don't want to spend $10,000 on a mower when I could have gotten a more productive mower for $6,000. Thats $4,000, that's one nice vacation.

10. lsylvain

OK here Is what people have said so far.

38'/sec with 60" ztr no brand or hp mentioned.
    20'/sec with no mower information given.
    4.4'/sec with a toro 21"
    27.6'/sec with 48" TTHP with a 19 horse Kawi