Mowing Too Fast ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pro-Lawn, Jun 2, 2001.

1. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

http://pro-lawncare.com
    Just today i lost one residential account. The customer said that we were going way too fast and that he was tired of seeing us zip up and down. I said sir, these are high dollar commercial mowers which are rated to mow at 9 mph , and we were not even traveling probably 6mph.
    The grass was not tall , and looked very nice at that pace. But the customer still replied, i dont care it doesnt look like mowing to me.
    Has anyone had this happen to them before ?:confused:

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, usually when it is time to pay. They will sometimes say, boy that didn't take very long.. I used to keep a copy of my bill of sale for my new Walker to remind them how and why I cut so fast,,,,, and why I still need to charge for it. They seem to think that because it only takes a short time to do the lawn that they should only be charged a few dollars. This is a real problem in the Fall for leaves, if they see you sweat and breaking your back for 3 hours raking their lawn they are happy to pay you $100 but do it with the Walker (GHS) in 30 mins and they figure you should only get $20..
    hmm let's see rake for $12 Walker GHS for $15000 can you say "overhead"

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Some people think you have to mow at 1 mph to do the job right. Watch a government job guy mowing a park or rest areas along the interstate. You have to drive a stake next to them to see it they are moving. :)

Never lost one from going to fast.

4. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

Pro Lawn don' sweat it. Customers like this are a pain don't think twice about them move on and get another good customer. You just can't talk to some people. I know what your saying and I just tell them matter of factly that what I'm diong is the best for the yard or lawn and explain why i'm doing it this way and if they still don't lie it then they need to find someone else to do it for them. I really don't have time for people like this. If the lawn looks good when your done they should not be talking,looks bad then they have a complaint. Some times people are upset with how fast you mow because of the price they are paying not relizing that expensive commercial equiptment can do what their cheap mowers cannot.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Some people think you need to mow at 1 mph with a 21" mower to earn their money :p

Pro-Lawn, he did you a favor, don't even think about it. It's just they way some people think.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have had this happen to me as well. when I was mowing lawns at about 25 bucks an hour with a craftsman 38" rider and went to a 61" grasshopper, man- folks noticed. I was doing a 2 acre property in about 2.5 hours, and went down to 55 minutes on the new rig. ! when I told him it would still be 65 bucks he hit the roof ! for some reason, some people don't understand a $10000 mower should at LEAST bring in twice per hour what a $1000 mower does. leaves knock us back to 35 per man hour, but that is usually 35 for mower guy and AND 35 for blower guy. not a killing, but keeps us alive in winter months. Dave g

7. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

http://pro-lawncare.com
    Hey, thanks for the input guys. Ive never been let go from a lawn in my 5 years of operating, and boy this was hard to take. Ive been getting new customers everyday and they have been good ones, so money wise its no biggy, but it still was a reality check that **** happens even when you do a good job. I told my crew today that maybe we should slow down a bit. I think well just keep on mowin and move on. :D

8. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

when i get into this conversation with some people i tell them that if i could just drive by and wave a magic wand and their lawn would be done the same way,just as they like it,it would still be the same price.and then i ask them why they should care if it takes 5 minutes or an hour to do it? but then these are the same people who think you shouldn't mow it because it didn't grow 9" high yet.it's better off not having to deal with these types of customers.it promotes positive mental health.was it really worth the extra $25-$30 bucks a week? NAH!

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

good point LJ, that customer isn't worth $25-$30 a week, let some scrub do it and make him even madder when the lawn looks like sh!t.

on complaints i have had about going so fast on the lazer were when are you gunna get another so your other guy can cut the back as fast and as nice as you do the front. honest to god a lady told 2 of my guys this. :blob3:

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

...because it used to take them all day to mow that same lawn with a 20"...heheheh. Back when minimum wage was $3.25 an hour.

Remind them that you are paid by the job...not by the hour.

Besides, you didn't spend 10 grand on a good machine just to have to "slow down" did ya? ;)

Don't give 'em a second thought.

Peace!