1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing too much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a customer yesterday who came out and asked "are you cutting low enough, you're mowing so many times. I don't want it cut more than once per week". I know she is a senior and probably doesn't have a good grasp of the day of the week, but I cut her's every thursday. I told her this but I was left with the impression that she didn't really believe me. Her grass wasn't in desperate need cause it is mostly weeds, but it would have been really bad if I skipped the week. Just blowing off some steam, I hate having my integrity questioned, and hate to think my customer feels I am mowing more just to get as much money as I can, which is not the case. I guess if she asks again I'll just keep reminding her that it is Thursday ;)
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I had a new elderly client send me a note with May's bill saying she wanted us to mow lower, and every two weeks like she told me in the spring.This yard is open and large, and gets about 5 fert. treatments a year(and grows and grows) She never told me to mow every two weeks to begin with or we wouldn't have taken the account.(1.15 acs.) Well, we only mow weekly accounts, all at the same cutting height of 3.25", and it says so in black and white on her contract with her signature on it. I don't know what planet she was on when she signed the contract, plus she has a copy of it as well, so I sent her a second copy with the pertinent info. in yellow hi-liter. Who knows..I just think she doesn't want to pay for a full month's service. She has the $$$ to, so I don't think $$ is the issue.I dunno.....:confused:
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My problem is not the elderly, the ones who spend too much time at the golf course! They see the golf course being maintained differently than their lawn, and come home, "... make mine look like what I just saw!" They are the ones who want it cut down too low, "...so it looks better." In this area, mowing at 3" at this time of the year is best, but the golfers have a different idea.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

just tell the golfers, when they can afford to have you as their gardener (working 5 days per week for them only) and can get you a commercial reel mower (like the golf course). Then and only then can their grass look like a golf course.

Or be nice and suggest that they talk to the grounds keeper there and see if he thinks it can be done at a residence for the money they pay you.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Just ask them" are you going to water your lawn like a golf course when I cut it down to a inch".