1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing Troubles!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason_S, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

I just wanted to quickly pass a situation on to you "pro's" here!

I am the #1 worker right now, and every week, I am responsible for taking 2 workers to mow with me. My problem is with equipment! My boss buy's the cheap homelite stuff, and it is CONSTANTLY breaking and what not! The major problem right now is a 4 year old trimmer that should have been retired at 2 years!! What can I do to get the problem rectified?

I have brought it up before that we need a new one, but then I hear moans/groans about cash-flow, and how "busy" he can be! After constant prodding, he will take it to a repair place and spend half the price of a new trimmer to get the old one "fixed"!

So you probably can tell that "nice" equipment is more than likely out of the question UNLESS you have SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!

oh yeah, we do not beat the equipment either, it just happens, and often I may add!

Thank you for looking my post over, and thank you for making me look REALLY SMART when I'm at work! This site has it all!!!!
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Does your boss have easy access to a computer?
    If so, I suggest you tell him about Lawnsite. This place helps most everyone in some form or another.

He will soon see by reading this forum that buying commercial equipment is the way to go.
  3. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Next time he isn't looking stick it under a tire. Oooops, time to get a new one.

No really, it sounds like your working for an idiot.

This is what we call letting a nickel hold up a dollar.

If you can't talk any sense to him maybe you need to become his competetion.:rolleyes:
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking that about the competition, too. :D
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

my personal preference for light trimming is a homelite st-275. I buget for a new one every year but they last longer when I use them for their intended purpose which is light work. I have bought two at a time when the price was right.

good luck to you on a new stihl or echo!

6. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

Price a new commercial quality weedeater and figure out how long the new one should last. Divide the cost by the number of months for a monthly cost. Then figure up how much time you waste trying to get the old one to run. Show him the numbers and just how much more money he will have in his pocket after he buys you the new weedeater. Do this with politely and with tact. If he doesn't see the light, look for a new job. Good people with an eye for profit are in great demand.