Mowing truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stihl036pro, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

I currently pull a 16 foot landscape trailer with a 93 ford f-350 diesel mason dump. The fuel bill for the truck is huge and the truck is enormous for a mowing truck. I want to buy maybe one or two flat bed trucks that i can get good gas millage and parts are not as expensive. I need a really strong gate that will hold my scag 61 rider. I also have a 48 tiger cub. Instead of paying someone to ride around with me for residential mowing jobs. I would like them to be able to go off on there own and mow certain customers for the day. I would also go out and mow a different route. I think that this method of mowing is really fast and cheaper for me. Plus.... I don't have to worry about driving into small residential neighborhoods with the trailer and also someone with little experience driving the truck and trailer around town. So basically.... I want a 2 wheeled drive flat bed truck that has a strong gate and can carry a rider mower with one trimmer, a blower, a gas can, a rake and a pitch fork. Does anyone use this method of mowing. How well does it work. I spent way two money this year on fuel. Wear and tear on my mason dump is cleaning me out. Is there any company out there that offers a mowing truck. I heard of one company a while but I cant remember the name. Thanks for the advise. -MIKE-

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

3. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

one of the larger companies around my area has 1 guy crews for small gated properties...The set up from what i could see was a ford E-150's or 250 can't remember but in it was a small trim mower than what looked like to be a 32" bobcat hydro. trimmer blower...
    the van is great for those really small prop. with limited parking

4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is how I have my NPR set up. The ramps from Handy Ramp are rated to hold 4k lbs. My box is a 16 footer. It has a standard floor. I personally like the extra space of a flat floor, over a beavertail floor, but that's my opinion.

Before you buy the ramps, or the truck, there are some things we need to talk about. I'll save you time, headaches, and money. It will take about 5 to 10 minutes on the phone to explain some things to you about these trucks, and ramps. Believe me. Before I set my rig up. I looked into all of the avaliable options. If you'd like to talk about them email me at cv2218@aol.com. If you have aol, we can talk on an IM, or if you aren't on aol, you can call me on the phone.

After using this set up, I'll never go back to a truck, and trailer for a cutting rig again. There's nothing wrong with a truck, and trailer for cutting. I just see a lot of benefits to using a truck alone for me.

If you want to see more pictures of my truck, including inside pics. Go to the truck, and trailer forum, and there are a bunch of pics under the post titled, "My Cuttin' Rig". It's on the first page of that forum. I hope that helps.

Vic

box trk12.jpg

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just upgrade your truck buy a 450 or 550 which will have more power and torque to pull your trailer. We use a Chevy mason dump 3500 or a Ram 2500

6. Stihl036pro

Thanks guys for all the help -MIKE-

7. Stihl036pro

I am going to look around for but now but aleast I have some whare to start. I would like this setup by next mowing season.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Vic,

I really like your setup.

Stihl036pro, did you see this company? Click image for link.
    [​IMG]