1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mowing under apple trees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Sep 26, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

for those of you that have to mow around and under apple trees, do you rake them up, or just leave them. I'm not talking huge fields here, i mean regular size lawns. Keep in mind the bees that they attract?
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I leave them, most customers are too cheap to pay for the labor intensive clean-up. I know what you mean when you mentioned the bees. The stench from the rotting apples isnt one of my favorites either.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I leave them unless the customer request that i remove them. That is the #1 reason I dont like to remove them is because of the bee's
  4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

my people want me to leave them. Is nice for the deer and other animals to eat.
  5. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

Does it hurt the blades or cause a lot of apple parts to get thrown all over the place? I know down here with the orange and grapefruit trees I have to pick them up or else they'll get slung all over the yards and make a nice yard look messy.
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I slice and dice them. It doesn't make a mess except for the chopped up apples on the ground.

I actually only have one customer with an apple tree. I have seen Deer in their yard too.
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I run them over as well....The yard that I have them in actually fall over a fence from the neighbor's yard, so I just run them over!
  8. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a customer with both apple and pear trees and this particular area has to be done with a 21" mower. A pain to push the mower over them and then he puts 2x2 sticks up to hold the limbs as they get heavy with the fruit. Then the weedeating throws the stuff all over you. It's the yard I dread the most.
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I would be dropping that customer. Hopefully you are getting paid what you deserve on that property.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't ever pick the apples up. It's a lot of work. I have one sizeable apple tree in my own yard, and some years (apple trees produce fruit on some sort of cycle, some years there are tons of 'em and some years hardly any) I can go out and get 2 plastic grocery bags full PER DAY every day for weeks on end. I pick my own up, or else it becomes a yellowjacket nightmare.

Thankfully this year is an "off" year for my tree, not many apples at all.