Mowing Weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy, May 26, 2001.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

My mowers, like most mowers have a hard time cutting weeds. Many times they will push them over. Is there any thing different that you guys do to prevent this from happening? Many times when you go back over a yard twice it is only for the weeds,not the actual grass.

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Double Gators. One magnum, one standard.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i have no problem with high lifts and gators on top. double cut the lawn, but all my acounts get fertilized so i don't run into that unless its a new customer.

4. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

Out of 54 lawns about 10 have the weeds these people
    don't care about the weeds just mow the grass that all
    they say and that all i do i'm not mow it 2 times if they
    don't care about the weeds, why should i. :mad:

5. lawnboy

What do you mean by double blades? That you put two blades on at once?

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search on 'double blades' and you'll come up with more than enough info. Also check out Eric's site for some more info. on them.

7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Doubles work great on all the weeds I encounter. Use the search and ck out Erics site both are great.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about weeds in a lawn, or just taking down weeds like field weeds? If you are talking about weeds in a lawn, then I guess alot of it has to do with what kind of mower you run. With my Gravely Promaster rider for instance, when I cut weeds like Buckhorn, (those tall thin spaghetti strand like weeds that are so hard to cut) I would actually drop my rpm's a bit and it would cut them more efficiently. I don't know if it was from the air current being too strong combined with the acoustics of the deck when the throttle was all the way up, or what. This was with a commercial field that was full of them. Now, with my Lazer, it's the oddest thing, because I can go over them at full hilt with the throttle all the way up and at full speed, which is twice as fast as the Gravely, and it cuts them clean leaving not a one. This is even if it is cut higher, too. Somme people just cut lower to better cut the weeds, but is not an answer to the problem, only a contributer. If you have that many of these type of weeds, try slowing the r's down a little bit, and maybe the ground speed too. It may seem like a sacrifice, but it MAY actually be faster in the long run. Definitely try the doubles first, though. Good luck!

9. lawnboy

thanks runner I will try that.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

one thing not mentioned about cutting weedy lawns is the
    tendacy to plant these weeds in your other yds via the mower deck.
    i wash mine real good at a car wash if i mow weeds. later