1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing weeds!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by agm, Sep 12, 2006.

1. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I need help in giving a customer a quote for mowing 10 acres of.......WEEDS! This is a large mobile home park that has weeds that are about 3-4 feet tall! I obviously would not be using my good equipment for this. I have an old Murray rider that I use specifically for jobs like this. There isn't very many obstacles just pretty much open area. Any ideas would be great. Oh yea, there were also 360 empty lots that needed mowing also but I was able to come up with an estimate for those since they are small lots, just need help with the big area.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

10 acres? you can sub it out to someone with the right piece of equip. to walk through it (brush hog) and make MORE than if you tried to do it yourself. There are guys that come in and do high weed mowing for $20-30 an acre. Now, you figure up how long it would take you to cut an acre of that stuff while you are destroying your Murray tractor.
  3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree "10 acres w/ murray rider" no way,sub it out mark up that cost and come out ahead with lot less work.
  4. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Rent a bushhog and do it yourself and keep the profit
  5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You got a good weed eater? j/k
  6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

How about goats? j/k. The old Jacobson mower commericals. "Jacobson mowers, faster than sheep."
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the guys not only because it's not a job for a Murray but from the sound of things it's not even a job for a finish mower, which is what any and all lawn mowers are: finish mowers. From the sound of things, you need a mower made for the rough, like a tractor with a blade or some sort of hydraulic attachment with flailing blades, stuff that's made to cut down fields, that type of thing.

Now I used to take my old '98 Wb through some rough stuff but time and again I learned what the term 'finish mower' really stood for, and that is a finish mower is designed for nice lawns and not rutting and 4-wheeling and crap.

As far as renting, I stopped renting equipment myself because by the time I figure the cost of picking it up and bringing it back (in time mind you) plus stopping by the gas station to refuel the beast and the cost of rental, it's hardly worth 20 / hour by the time I figure all that in, so I don't rent nothing, if I don't got it, I can't do it.

Cost-wise, I wouldn't touch it for less than 600 but that's me.
    Now if they don't care what it looks like so long it's cut, then it's 400 but no less, not with a finish mower.

p.s.: but they called you because you're new in the business and they're hoping you won't charge them a lot, which is why you're considering using the murray... do as you wish, but don't say we didn't warn you lol, I can remember a learning experience or two like that myself.
    p.s.s.: You will be saying to yourself these words: It will be alright, it's not as bad as they say, I can still make out awrite.
    yup... I'm still not too sure why folks new in the business HAVE to do this (or why they get the calls), but I have some idea lol.
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I've done a lot of this stuff this year.

MANY 1/4 acre lots. The majority of them are "maintained" by re-cutting every 2 weeks but the first time is a PITA.

After some learing, I charge 65-75 bucks for a 1/4 acre lot, the first time. And I still think that's a tad low. Then I knock the price down a bit if the customer agrees to have them done every 2 weeks. You've got 10 acres to do. You do the math.
  9. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I appreciate all the info! A friend of mine, another company owner, has a tractor that he mows his own 15 acre lot with and I let him have the job. I did not even know he had a tractor or a property this big. Again thanks.