Mowing Weekly

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jermana232, Dec 11, 2011.

1. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I mow weekly and tell foks it is at my discretion, I also do a nasty thing according to many on this site, I apply fertilizer (1/2 the amount suggested) on all my properties, no charge only in the very dryest part of the year, did I have to do partials, I onlly skiped a couple of clients once or twice, generally with a healthy lawn it can survive a lot of heat

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Weekly April 15th to October 15th, as needed. Mid July through August cuts will often get skipped, depending on the lawn...my discretion not the customer's. Some lawns keep getting cut into late November, as needed.

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you stop cutting in September? Most grasses can be cut until early December if needed.

4. Thanksman

Thanksman LawnSite Platinum Member

i have a customer rain or shine they want the lawn cut on a certain day.. drizzle.. i can see... but she didnt care if it was pouring.. flat yard... no rutting but damn.. anyone got one of these people?

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

That's so at least one day a week they'll know what day it is.

I have more problems with customers insisting that I can't cut if the grass is wet...never had one insist I mow in the rain.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Commercial property managers.

Gotta come rain or shine. HOA residents like consistency. Nursing homes, hospitals, campuses, schools, etc like consistency.

7. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I am very consistant on when I cut, but everyone is on my schedule, a couple of people have tried to push for a certain day, but I cover 3 distinct geographical areas mainly I cut Monday thru Wednesday and save Thrusday/Friday for special projects, it also gives me a buffer incase it rains if someone is having a special event I consider it a special project and if needed I will do a recut.
    I am in a special place though I don't need to grow my business by much, nor do I want to, I think 30 would be my max properties, I am waiting to hear back on one that would be a 1/2 day gig just to cut, so that might be the last one i need. fingers crossed.

8. MR-G

MR-G LawnSite Senior Member

we shedule all 3 of our crews to the max...6 days a week all year...no rain days or make up days...we run in almost any weather (except lightning) when we do get behind (which is rare) well....were behind...lol....if we get cancellations we just replace them with a phone call or two....we always have a waiting list going....

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes use your discretion in drought periods. I would watch it with the 'ask the customer if if needs cut' thing. Nearly always, they will tell you 'oh, just skip it this week'. Guess what, you lost income on a customer whim. I like to take care of my customers, they don't need to call me unless they want more than weekly cuts in heavy spring growth. Otherwise I don't want to hear from them unless they have a concern.

The one way around this, monthly level contract price.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This is the way to do it IMO.