1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing wet grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TNT Lawncare, Aug 29, 2006.

1. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way to mow wet grass? It has rained for 3 day straight. If I don't mow tomorrow, I'll be mowing all weekend.
  2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

turn on the mower and engage the blades and go..sorry but i wish there was an easier way to mow long wet grass.:)
  3. TNT Lawncare

Ok. I have mowed wet grass before but not this wet. Should I raise the deck? I hate all the clumps. It looks bad and thats not what I am about. Though maybe there were a few tricks out there.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Use regular med-lift blades ( NO GATORS!) make sure they are sharp, and go slow when you turn, then double cut.
  5. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, but I cant remember the last time we had rain here.

If I remember right, have your blades as sharp as possible, slow down, and keep the deck clean. Also, be careful not to spray house, cars, etc. with grass turds. You will still probably have a mess. Sometimes we hit the clumps with the blowers at the end, kinda works.
  6. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Mowed in light drizzle half the day today before things cleared up. Mowed wet grass all weekend.

The lawns look like crap, but I have absolutely no choice unless I just skip them for a week - but then I'd have jungles to deal with. Thankfully none of my customers have given me any **** about it.
  7. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

1. Take it SLOW and Easy. Seriously.

2.Try to blow the grass more into the yard rather than onto the sidewalk and driveway because it will stick to the pavement.

3. Try not to drive your mower on the paved areas because it will be more likely to leave green tracks there.

4. Use your blower to disperse the big clumps.
  8. mowerdave

mowerdave LawnSite Member

Keep the blades sharp and mow slow. May take longer, but better than mowing on the weekend. Mowed yesterday after having over 5 inches of rain over the weekend. Grass was wet and stuck to everything so had to keep blowing off sidewalks.
  9. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Cut high, then cut regular hieght the next time cause you ain't getting away with single cuts. Of course, go slower than average. Sometimes if a lawn is real thick, you just might have to leave a lawn with turf turds still on it.
  10. TNT Lawncare

This is all assuming it doesn't rain tomorrow. This sucks. Better than a drought I guess though.