Mowing Wet Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bluesclues, Mar 2, 2005.

1. bluesclues

bluesclues LawnSite Member

I have lawns that have hills, lawns that are brand new lawns. I'm making ruts in the lawns or sometimes getting stuck when it is really wet. I can't skip the lawn because after a week down here the grass needs to be cut. Does anybody have any tips on trying to get around these problems? And as a LCO thats trying to make a name for himself. I can't be going around wrecking peoples yards and having to spend an arm and a leg to fix my mistake.

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

What type of mower are you using? We use two 48" WB, we make sure to actually WALK behind the WB's when the potential to cause ruts or mud stripes in the lawn. Some people have told me a ZTR, even though it is a few hundred pounds heavier and has a operator on it, is better than a WB cause it distributes the weight better...not sure I agree though...but I don't have nor ever owned a ZTR so I can't comment on that aspect...

When it is WET (meaning possbility of getting stuck, making ruts, kicked up mud) we simply do not do the lawn and will come back another day.

It really comes down to watching the weather and moving your schedule around mother nature. For instance, say you do the lawns every Wednesday...if rain is forcasted for that day show up on Tuesday or wait until Friday.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That is totally untrue...a Z can't be operated without someone on it, but a WB can.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Like I said, I didn't believe it, just what I was told by an LCO I ran into at the local service center. I just nodded and said 'ok'. Kinda hard to disagree when I have never road a ZTR in wet conditions anyway.

BTW, enjoy the conference tomorrow...at least there is no snow in the forcast.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks...we plan on it.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

the ZTR are heavier, but in most cases have a bigger footprint and better weight distribution than WB's... on WB most of the weight is on the drive wheels....If you get enough rain....might have to work saturdays to make up for lost time.... It happens....thats the nature (no pun intended) of the business..

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Get larger tires on a wb they make some with very larger tires now. ZTR weighs to much for those conditions depending on what you have you will weigh in at 1000-2000 pounds a wb even though I hate them do have their functions this is one of them.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

When the ground becomes soup like my back yard the only option is mow it down with a weed wacker.

9. Precision PLC

Precision PLC LawnSite Member

Listen like marcsmith said come back on a saturday I do it all the time it sucks but sometimes you'll have that.If you don't have time to come back slow down and make 3 point turns this also takes more time but at least you won't have to come back on the weekend.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

It stinks to have to work weekends. as we all know, on a rain day if we send our employee's home, there is still work to do for us, Blades, oils, service, bills, bids....and we still end up making the work day up. Thats one of the prices for being the boss, just when you are working on a saturday try to remember all of the perks....

That was one of the nice things about florida the sandy soil drained pretty good...