Mowing when ground is wet

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by landscapetastic, May 23, 2012.

1. landscapetastic

landscapetastic LawnSite Member
    from ny

The other day a person calls and says that they are desperate for a lawn cut for the memorial day weekend. Ok I said that I can add you to my schedule this week. When I went there today the grass was about 2ft and was wet from the rain we been having in N.Y. The property was over a 1/2 acre, I charged $80 .I said that its almost to wet to mow. They said do it anyway. I tried bagging it but the bag shoot was getting clogged with clippings. It was clumping somewhat, but mostly leaving lose clippings all over the grass. I did blew apart the clumps though. They said that they were unhappy with the job because of the clippings all over the grass. I said that the ground is wet and you were begging for it to be done this week. They looked at me like I was nuts. Well these are the chances you take when you mow wet grass. I said that I would come back to mow up the clippings after the ground dries. I do not LIKE mowing wet grass at all unless I am backlogged.
    What would you guys do in this situation?

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I would have waited until it was somewhat dry? I had this situation today with one of my regulars and I told her it was too wet and would come back later in the day when it had time to dry out somewhat. She was fine and understood, I made sure I came back later that afternoon just as I said I would.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Take the money and run
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

they created the situation not you. you actually even warned them. tell them if they were a normal client for you that they would not have had the problem in the first place

lawn maintenance and restoration forum*****

5. Orrdc

Orrdc LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you and hate it as well. IF i'm gonna cut because of some special stipulation I always warn them what it's gonna look like

6. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

I would have told them this isn't rocket science you knew the conditions before I cut it. Your lucky to have had someone do it for the price of 80.00 when it shoudl have been more and asked them for cash immediately.

7. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device

8. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Ultimately the choice to mow rests with the LCO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

When you cut wet hay, it looks like wet hay cutting. Raking and bagging extra, you paid for mowing.

10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

amen.... there's been a few times this year I wish I would have took the sickle bar, not the mower.