Mowing where you work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mid Rivers, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Does anyone mow where they work full time. I am thinking of bidding on the place where I work fulltime. Good idea or bad? From a monetary point of view I know it is good but what are the drawbacks?
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

The only problem is you may get criticism
    an discussion of yd every day from execs
    an such.It really depends on how it will
    affect your regular employment.JUDGEMENT CALL
  3. sanford

sanford LawnSite Member

I currently work for the City of Clayton, not to far from you. I will be leaving here Feb. 16th because of the conflict of interest issue. Because I am a city employee, I cannot do work within the City limits. If you know anything about Clayton, you know that it is full of large estates and lots of grass. In the private sector, I dont see where it would be a problem if your boss is ok with it. Good luck
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

,,, I dont sh*t where I eat.

This applies to dating, employment ventures, and other things as well. I would say stray away from the temptation. If you loose your job you will probably lose the contract as well. On the otherhand, if you make a mistake outside then it may affect how they perceive your interior work habits/ethics as well.

Dont mix the two.
  5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I do work for my boss, the company I work for, and other people that I work with. The only problem that I find is that they expect a discount..... The money is green no matter who you get it from though..
  6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Do you like mowing?

DONT mix business with pleasure! $$$ are not all that count out here in my opinion. Are you planning on going FT any time soon that you might quit your regular job? If so then go for it. If not then dont.

It is a serious conflict of interests really. As an owner you cant be the "BOSS" and "just one of the guys" all at once. It doesnt work. Same with your situation.

Are you a manager at your work? Will you lose respect or authority if you become "the lawn guy" too? Would you want your secretary doing your laundry at your house as well as her regular job?

It just creates conflict is basically what i am trying to get across here. Sorry for the long and somewhat vague post.

Acute Cut
  7. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I'm bidding on mowing for my employeer shortly, they don't care who does it, as long as it is done and done right.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Scenario: time for the ol annual review. Things are a little tight. Mid Rivers and Paul come up for review. In the back of supers minds is, heck we already pay em 1000 (or whatever) a month for the lawn they can do without this time around.

Scenario 2: You get into a pissing contest over quality, or they are late in payment, whatever. Dont think that animosity wont spill over into the workplace.

Scenario 3: You screw up on the job big-time (your full-time job). Thoughts turn to, maybe the guys got too many side jobs, time to show him the gate.

Id bid the spice factory across town instead.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I do the fertilizing and weed spraying at my day job. It works out okay other than a bit of a hassle when it comes time to bid it each year. I really feel that the company thinks they have to give it to me or I will be pissed ( I am a supervisor there ) I have 37 more days to go and I will be leaving to go full time. Today the plant manager gave me the quote that another lawn company gave them. The price is comparable to mine but they also missed some of the turf areas in the estimate, so their price will be higher. He never said much just said I might want to look at it. They haven't given me the job for this year yet but have been trying to get me to reconsider quitting. I have given them 3 months notice so I am already training a replacement. I see the company owners in the office everyday, lately I might as well be wallpaper they never even look at me. I have worked there for 15 years and I have been doing lawns part time for 8 years, I have way too much money in equipment to leave it sit idle all day. I really doubt that I will get the contract this year or ever again. Next time I wouldn't mix the two jobs.
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I couldn't get the mowing contract at my previous place of employment, said it was a conflict of interest. When I quit I did get it. I did it for 2 years but since they wouldn't go year round with me decided to give it up this year. Too much weed pullin' and weed-eatin' anyway, it no longer fit my profile! I got to say take this job and shove it twice! I'm one lucky guy! :D