Mowing with a disability (Anyone?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, May 15, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Just wondering if there are any of you that mow with a disability such as limited use of your legs, arms, back problems, hearing etc. and how you cope. I am not posting this to make fun of anyone it just seems like mowing could be a good oportunity for some that would find trouble in other jobs. Especially with a helper it would seem possible to run a lawncare business even if you were limited somewhat physically. Would love to hear your story.

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

There have been a couple great articles about this in turf magazine in the past six months or so. One stands out in my memory because he was from Vermont (as I am) If you can check out the turf archives you'll find something there.

3. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not disabled, but I did see a LCO with half a arm, he had a sling from his shortened arm to his weed eater. I was impressed

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

We have a guy that does the local game and fish shows on Kentucky Educational TV who only has one arm. But he has adapted to fishing, hunting, and even shoots a bow (with his teeth if I'm not mistaken). I admire those that don't let things stop them from having a full life.

5. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Before I struck out on my own I worked with a guy who had a shorter arm and only 4 fingers. It seems that before he was born he was laying a certain way in the womb and it stunted the growth in his arm.

He really couldnt run a mower but he could trim with the best of them! Good worker and he's still a great friend of mine.

6. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

A.D.D :laugh: thats good though. :laugh:

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I lost my natural voice to laryngeal cancer 12 years ago

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have one of those talking boxes or something?

9. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The craziest thing that I saw was a man pushing a 21"er while walking with one of those 4 legged canes. My wife and I looked at the guy in utter amazement.

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

His lawn guy probably quick b/c he was a major PITA