mowing with a johndeere xseries aws

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cntryboymc, Jan 15, 2006.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

i was just wondering if anyone has used a jd xseries all wheel steer.a local lawn company has one and really likes john deere dealer is offering $8500 to trade my 2000 jd 345 tractor,a 2003 jd 737 ztrack with bagger,and a jd 160 towards a jd x485 aws.sound like a deal?i thought it would be a good compliment to my dixie chopper xt3200.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, look at the Kubota GR 2000 and GR2100 before settling on it.
    That's my advice.

You can find info on Kubota's website about them... and then you can find a better explaination of it all here on Lawnsite if you do a search on my screen name and GR2100.
  3. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you want to get rid of the JD Z?
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I mow with a SuperZ. My tractor is New Holland. But when it comes to garden/yard tractors, I've only had Deere. Would like to have an aws, just can't afford another mower (too many other needs now). I'd prefer the 585 to the 485, though. That 4WD sure does help when you need it. Let us know how you like it if it works out.
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have experience with it but I'm assuming you like it because of the aws feature. I think it is cool but the only thing is you can't put a front loader on the aws model. Also, one of the major advantages would be mowing on slopes that the ztr can't stick to. However, without four wheel drive, you might as well keep the ztr. Plus your ztr has the 7 iron deck and you already own it. Basically, unless you need it for a tractor, I'd stay with the ztr because an aws tractor would be limted as a tractor, IMO.
  6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2001 JD 425AWS which was replaced by the X475AWS. They definetaly have their place in the Lawn maintenance industry but if you have a Deere Z-trak, there is no way I would trade. The AWS is very nice, but dont get rid of a Z, your cut quality wont be as good.....and that drives me nuts when my 997 and 737 are cutting next to the 425, there is no comparison to a 7-iron cut! Just my 0.02. Let us know what you decide to do.
  7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

When a man has exactly what you want, listen to him. Sound advice to me.