Mowing your church for free..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Nov 18, 2007.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I have a question for you all. Our church moved to a new location this summer and it has a patch of grass about 30' x 200'. I just kind of started going over there and started keeping it mowed for them being that I do this for a living. I don't charge them for doing it, just feel like giving something. But what I would like to know is, do you feel that its OK to send them something showing what I would have charged and turn it in on taxes as a charity donation?
    Thanks.........

2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would be ok, but you might want to talk to someone from the church to have them sign some sort of contract to acknowledge that you actually do maintain their lawn free of charge

3. JayD

OK, Yeah, I was going to bring that up to him today, and it slipped my mind. I'm sure that will be fine with him, but I do see your point.
    Thanks for the feed back.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need to donate at least $10,000 per year for it to be tax deductible, you may combine various donations and all of your donations to accumulate a total, but the total has to be more than 10g because the IRS form will tell you that.

It's not just for business, that's anyone, even personal donations: 10g minimum.
    No it ain't right, but that's all I know.

5. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

I cut my church's front lawn for free. But I also keep my trailer there. Has a pretty big front lawn. Takes me about 15min goin full speed.

6. philmdamien

philmdamien LawnSite Member
    from NH

We all know god hates long grass.

7. JayD

Yeah, I know what your saying about that......It seems that the IRS gets raising it about every year too.
    I do think I'm still OK, We just about meet that every year.

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

.......Definately a bone-headed statement, rookie. :usflag:

9. JayD

This one takes me about 15min with my wb as well. Its not all that big. It takes me longer to pick up all the trash that people throw on the lawn than it takes to mow it.

10. cutedge

cutedge LawnSite Member

I cut 2 churches, they are both very large properties. At first, I was going to cut them for free, but they wouldn't allow it. So I only charge them 50%. Find out from your accountant about donations, cause I claim them as donations but they are over 10,000 worth of income