Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrush, May 12, 2008.

1. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I got my new 61' Scag this year, and I'm kickin a$$ on my accounts. Now, I look at the gravy money I make mowing and am kind of leaning away from the landscaping jobs cause it seems like I can make more $ mowing. Now when I give an estimate for landscaping I price it high, so if I get it it;s worth my while. I'm kinda at a point where if your not a mowing cust I don't really have time for you. Anyone else gone through this?
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

oh we go again.
  3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i have a new 61'' 29hp dfi and i would rather let it sit and do landscapes. if you make more money cutting grass then doing scapes something is wrong. i would rather do mulch for that matter all day everyday over mowing.
  4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Post back when it has not rained in a month and its ninety. I scaped today and averaged 20 dollars more an hour. Maybe I am not charging enough for mowing:laugh:
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

yep that makes sense you want to cut all year for about the amount you could bring in on one landscaping job in one month:hammerhead:
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We try not to do any landscape work. Its something I hate doing with a passion. Hell we have 4 mulch jobs right now that we are supposed to do when we can but the weather is not letting us get to them and cutting comes first when they are growing this fast. When we give a price on any kind of landscape work most people look at us like we have 2 heads and end up getting somebody else to do it thank god.
  7. Precision09

Precision09 LawnSite Member

April to Sept. money is in mowing,Oct. to March you better have 12 month contracts(landscape maintenance)to make money the other 6 months of the year. You will make your money in the winter, summer months you will have labor and $3.63 a gallon gas
  8. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

Wow! I never knew you could make over $50k a month doing one landscaping job!!! I guess I do have to rethink my pricing!! :hammerhead: What do you get, $10k per yard of mulch installed? Sounds about right.....:hammerhead: I'm sure you'll post a response from you yacht in the Caribbean.
  9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

You can gross $50,000 in a month landscaping. Some members here do $50,000 worth of mowing in a month---it's collecting it that's the hard part.

I like mowing because the work returns year after year---same with spring cleanups, mulching, plowing, and leaf cleanups. Larger projects are great but I'll pass on them before I let the recurring work suffer.
  10. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

Uggghh... please do me a favor and everyone stop relying to this thread, you are more annoying than helpful. Apparently I'm talking to a bunch of f-ing millionaires. I think everyone is so much more successful on the internet than in reality.