Lawn Care Forum banner

MP Rotator Design

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JGR 
#1 ·
I was wondering if someone would tell me how to design a 120' X 35' area for MP Rotators. I will have 30 PSI at heads. According to MP spec sheet that will give me about 27 feet for the MP 3000. Not sure on the best way to design for coverage. It seems to me that I will have to have 360 degree sprinklers in center along with 90 and 180's on sides. Any suggestions

#3 ·
With only 30 psi at the heads, you won't get complete head-to-head coverage with a ten-head perimeter layout (unless you use Maxipaw impact heads) - so you will have to be satisfied with 6 heads a side (24 foot spacing) - any obstructions to the sprays? (trees, posts)

#4 ·
Could someone explain to me how triangular spacing gives you more coverage then square spacing. It seems to me that it would take more sprinklers to do a job with square spacing (sprinklers across from each other) then triangular. Spec sheet from all manufacturers show a bit higher hourly pecipitaion rates with triangular spacing then square. I have never understood this. Also will a MP 3000 give me about .4 to .5 inch per hour coverage by itself, or is this head to head when they figure this rate?
Thanks

#5 ·
Thanks Dirty Water and Wet Boots for the replies. I appreciate your time. Would it be correct to say square spacing works better if you have concrete on the ends of a border. This way you can adjust the 2 sprinklers on the ends for a 90 degree spray allowing zero water to be thrown on the concrete.

#7 ·
Instead of thinking in terms of square or triangular, I just think head-to-head, and since I can't see the landscape, I think 6 a side, so each row is handling at least a 120x20 rectangle, so the two rows will cover the 120x35.

Heads in corners by driveways can be more prone to breakage, but enough overlap allows a head to be pulled away a bit. If this were an instance of a Belgian block curb, I couldn't get a head all the way into a corner anyway.

It used to be that triangular precipitation rates were based upon a spacing of about 60 percent (or even more) of head diameter, which is not head-to-head spacing. Since manufacturers want to sell more product, they now emphasize head-to-head spacing, even in triangular layouts, which I think is a bit dumb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.