MP Rotator MP3000 30 FEET?!?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dhess, Jul 20, 2008.

1. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

Has anyone successfully been able to get the MP3000 series to throw 30ft? If so at what head pressure?

On two different properties I've used the BLUE MP3000 series heads at 50+ psi and neither one throw near 30ft (more like 20-23 ft). I fully opened the nozzles (counterclockwise screw).

We have one large property that I would like to try and replace PGP rotators that are spaced 26 ft apart and as a test on Friday I replaced 4 PGPs in a row with 4xMP3000 heads (Blue, Mp3000 180 degree). I measured the head pressure from the head and it was 60psi.

At 60 PSI the MP3000s I installed barely threw 20-23ft on the side. I was using 4" Hunter Pro Spray Heads.

I had the same problem on another recent intall where I installed a temp system and decided to use MP rotators on it. The pressure was closer to 70psi and I still don't believe they got anywhere near 30ft. I'll go back on Friday and measure this for sure, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had mix results with these.

I know they are rated at 25-55psi and I wasn't seeing much misting at 60psi.

Maybe I'll try it with a pressure regulated head and see what happens.

2. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

'I measured the head pressure from the head and it was 60psi.'

I am sorry,I do not mean to hijack your thread,but ,can you explain to me how you measure pressure at an individual head?

3. Why are you replacing the PGPs? Why not just nozzle them down?

4. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

I measured the pressure at the head using a PSI guage attached to the end of a 4" popup head (special nozzle adapter)

5. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

This property has a major runoff problem from the slope of the grass on median plus wind.

Also we are finding the PGPs are generally failing (breaking or whatever) on the tops leaking, causing major runoff on the low end. Water collects and runs along the edges of the cement down to the lowest point and then across the street. So if any of the rotors are leaking it causes a problem.

I just wanted to see if a possible solution might be to use MP Rotators in place of the PGPS.

The original install (not us, probably 8-10 years ago) also didn't account for using check valves on low end heads. This is also causing major runoff onto street which the City is kicking our ass about now.

Bottom line is I have to come up a solution to reduce the water runoff and *arc* problems or cut that whole 1/2 mile section off because I'll be the one that cited from the city. Low Throw nozzles aren't doing much better.

I'll have to experiment with multiple water times (shorter), but the slope on the road and grass is making it almost impossible to fix. If we aim the heads too low they won't reach the other side of the median (thus not head to head) and they might actually just shoot into parts of the hill, thus missing the middle of the medians.

I'll be adding check valves and new PGP rotors on Monday with a lot of teflon tape hoping to solve this problem.

6. Try the RB PRS/SAM 5000 with the low angle nozzle. Or regular nozzle if spraying up a slope. I've used them in a situation similar to what you described and was quite pleased. I don't think MPs and PGPs are a good substitute for each other. Also MPs have more of a wind problem than PGPs in my opinion. To get that 30' radius on the 3000 they have to give it a pretty high angle.

7. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

Im a big fan of the MP 1000, 2000 and 3000.

I used the same Hunter 4" pop-ups. I am getting around 23 feet at 60 psi on the zone.

8. dhess

dhess LawnSite Member

I have some of those in the van I'll try tommorrow.

I still think the 30' is a myth and false advertising myself with the 3000 series, but I'll leave it at that.

9. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got them on a Rainbird DVF valve. It his an adjustable pressure valve in the valve.

I had to gate mine back and I'm getting them to throw right now at 20 feet. If it upped the pressure, It will throw 25+ for sure.

10. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

We put some 3000's on 6 ft. risers for a customer's garden, had to change out to 2000's to keep from hitting the house - 37 feet away (I measured).

We were running at 60PSI.