Mp-Rotator Side/Corner Strips

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 1, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Made a visit to our local Ewing outlet yesterday to speak with an old buddy who is the outside consultant for that branch. Him and I go back a ways through him working with different companies prior to Ewing. I asked him what he knew about the MP-Rotator side/corner strips because I'm interested in experimenting with them. He said that he recently returned from the company manufacturing site in Walla Walla, WA and they performed a demonstration to readily show the distribution of the water. They set up an above ground system on concrete and turned it on. Before long one could see a distinctive rectangle watering pattern showing up on the concrete. He said it was way cool to watch.

I also asked about the 4000 model and he said it is supposed to ship to distributors at any time. He checked the Ewing company-wide computer system to see if any branches had received them yet but they're still "in process" and haven't hit the shelves yet.

I also found out that the "T" as in 2000T stands for Toro since they are one of the few major manufacturers that use male threaded nozzles on their spray pop-ups. Most manufacturers use a female threaded nozzle.

I also copped a free Ewing MP Rotator baseball style cap. :clapping:

2. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Are these on the market? If so, has anyone used them?

-Russ

3. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Our local Ewing retailer has them, I had already designed the strip and had the heads in place otherwise I would have given them a shot, would have saved me some time.

4. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

I helped MP Rotator with a field test of the s/s and end-strip models... still going strong & good coverage.Using them right now.

As for the 40' model, last I heard they were having to design a new spray body that would flow enough water to reach the gpm rate of the MP4000. (I'm guessing it would be a 3/4 inlet??)

5. PurpHaze

Great to know. I have a couple of parking strips where I'm anxious to try them out and will sometime after our order comes in.

At first I thought this would be a disadvantage because our main use right now is conversion of spray pop-up zones. However, I can't think of any of our spray zones that would be that wide except one. I can see them being used to convert medium rotor zones but some of those are 1/2" inlets like PGJs. On a new install this wouldn't be much of a problem as 3/4" lines could be included from the beginning. Wonder how this is going to play out in the long run?

6. PurpHaze

The corner/side strips are on the market already. However, our Ewing was out of the "T" model so they ordered them from the warehouse where they have plenty. Should be in Monday or Wednesday.

7. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

those MPs are cool

they are actually pleasing to the eye.

never thought i could enjoy watching a sprinkler:laugh:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Toro's 300 stream rotor looks very much the same.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

When they rotate.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The 300's still have the best long-term track record of any gear-drive rotor. Time will tell whether losing the gearcase oil is a problem. I think it might be.