Mp Rotator Vs Rb Rotary

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jul 3, 2007.

1. I soured a little on the RB rotary yesterday. Besides seeing those things in HD on unisprays. Anyway I'm trying them both on retrofits to decide which direction I want to go. The RBs have a heavier spray which appeals more to HO. This job was poor pressure and a previous service man had replaced all the 15' with 12'. Now coverage was a major issue. So I tried the 13-17 RB and they barely threw 15'. Switched to 2000 MPs and got the full coverage. I may just carry both but I think the RBs need more pressure and need to be on prs heads whereas the MPs can be used on a standard 1804.

2. Before somebody asks me concerning the RB rotaries "Why do you want more pressure and a prs head?" The reason is to even out the flow to all the heads on a zone. The closest head to the valve will spin a lot faster than the furthest. Also I've established for my benefit that the precipitation rate varies from head to head depending on the pressure at that head relative to another head on the same zone.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If that is the case, then MP rotator has designed a far superior nozzle.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I have a weird-shaped zone going around a building and bounded by sidewalks that has a mixture of MPR 1000s, 2000s and 3000s. They tout matched precipitation across the spectrum of nozzles but I'm not going to do a catch can test. However, the zone appears to be pretty evenly watered (no mushy spots, no dry spots) and the turfgrass looks pretty uniform.

5. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

It is, and they did.

I use Rainbird almost exclusively, but the MP rotator is far superior to the RB version. I keep accounts with a different supplier just to keep access to the MPs; I install a few hundred of them a year and have had very little problem with them.

Also, MP now has side strips and right/left side strips that can be mix and matched with the 1000, 2000 and 3000. Very handy for allowing you to build out a zone properly rather than cutting into two zones (rotor and spray).

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I have one zone that is L-shaped around a building corner, 5' across in the front and 18' across along the side. I mixed the MPR 2000s and strips in this zone and it's doing quite nicely.

7. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i love mp's, but not in love with the sidestrips so far.
    they leak at about a 45 degree angle onto the sidewalk, and left and right seem backwards to me.
    also, what is the adjustment supposed to do on the sidestrips????
    maybe i'm not using them right, but so far, not impressed.

8. I agree with you. SST have been disappointing. I'm not sure how to retrofit systems with sst in parkway yet. Been mixing the rotaries in the yard with 8' spray on parkway where the two areas are zoned together.

9. To The Top......

10. thankyou,....