1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

MP Rotator vs Single Stream Rotor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What are your failure patterns with the MPRs? One reason I will favor a Toro Stream Rotor head, besides the cleaner patterns, is that their failures are concentrated at season startup.
  2. I'll take a single stream low angle rotor myself.
  3. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

mpr's sounded like a great idea when all the sales reps were pushing them.....
    they have a place.......bottom bin, and to the left of those greenskeeper 212 modules.
    95% of my systems pull from a lake so I'm not going to use them. single stream #8 nozzle for me. mprs are a great idea for city water....but again....longer run time
    I've seen it, and I am dealing with it now........
  4. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

The mp is taking a beating. I really do like them and think they have great performance for the most part. I do agree completely that they are not rock solid on the edges and generally take a 10% overspray in each direction to avoid brown spots. Granted if you are accustomed to pulling from a pump and using a large nozzle rotor that is pumping 5-6 gpm a minute then the mp can't compete and shouldn't compete. Smaller residential applications imo they simply can't be touched for flexibility and continuity (example 20-25' width x 65 length with all types of curvature and hourglass design).
  5. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I can agree with that.

Who has used the Toro mulit stream? Toro does not have a big name here, but the supplier had one sitting on the desk last week and he said he was going to start selling them. From what I understand they are gear driven?
    Anyone with experince post up and give a review.
  6. txirrigation

from Texas

I saw your post before it was removed. Most of the places I work in we have to submit a plan to the city Architect which he then reviews and if it passes then we get the permit. After we install the system we then have to call out the inspector to come out and confirm that we installed the system per our specs, and any as-built changes have to be noted in red ink and to code.

There are different inspectors and you never know which one is going to show up so I install to the stictest one's standard every time.

-If wind is blowing over 10mph - FAIL
    -One drop of water lands on sidewalk, hardscape, house - FAIL
    -Anything but dripline used in an area less than 7 ft wide - FAIL
    -Matched precip comprimised for any reason- FAIL
    -System not hydrozoned- FAIL
    -Rain sensor not set at 1/4in-48hr- FAIL
    -Heads closer than 6 in to hardscape- FAIL
    -Head to Head spacing comprimised- FAIL
    -Sprays mixed with rotors- FAIL
    -Seasonal run times, gpm per zone, water budget chart not posted-FAIL

I am also:

Licensed Prof Irrigator
    Licensed Irrigation Auditor
    Licensed BPAT
    Austin Water Wise Cert
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Don't really care what you are dude .... you are simply wrong here, and until you compare a catch can audit between an MPR nozzle and a comparable radius single stream rotor nozzle that fact will not change.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are you speaking of the Toro 300 series Stream Rotor? Or maybe the V-1550?
  9. I think its time for a Kiril has become irrelevant day. If ones only purpose on a forum is to see how many people can dislike him then you are doing a d@mn fine job of it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. txirrigation

from Texas

"Dude," I was comparing them because they were similar GPM.

I would say all the same things about a PGP-R2 as a R7

The reason you don't care "Dude" is because I just dont say I know what I am talking about, I have taken the steps to get licensed to PROVE I know what I am talking about. And no, just because I have a license doesnt mean I am an expert. The experinced gained over 100's of installs means I am an expert.