Lawn Care Forum banner

MP Rotator vs Single Stream Rotor

58K views 137 replies 18 participants last post by  Mike Leary 
#1 ·
What do you guys think?

In my experince many customers end up running the MPR so much longer that the water savings by the design goes null. Seems like I also get more coverage complaints on the MPR's. I space the 3000's @ 25', 2000 @ 17' (although they are pretty good at 20), and I do not use the 1000's bc they dont work that great.

Also if the customer does not keep the grass cut, the grass blades KILL the MPR streams while the single stream seems to perform OK in long grass. Although the grass should be cut to keep it under the riser hight, we all know the "I mow once every 3 weeks/month customer." Then they wonder why the grass is soooo grean by the sprinkler head, and dead out in the yard.

All this being said, the MPR definitly has advantages. If the customer cuts the grass and understands the concept, they will have much more uniformly green grass with the MPR.

I always try to gauge the home owner before I suggest one or the other.

#77 ·
Wouldn't want to disappoint you .... you might find out that I am actually a pretty damn nice person ... even though I am hard on some people on this forum.
Some people? Hell all one has to do is search all of you recent posts to see that you get into it with somebody in every thread you post on.... doesn't matter what the topic is either! You're the freakin' expert on everything that is landscape related! Hell.... I'm not even sure why you're slumming it as a landscaper! To hear you talk you should be wearing a lab coat with the name Hunter or Simplot or Toro stenciled on it! It's not that you're not a nice person man I'm sure you are! It's that every post you make is just dripping with a certain smug condescending arrogance that just jumps off of the screen at whoever is reading it! You act like you're the only person in the world who is capable of installing or maintaining an irrigation system! Get over yourself dude!

#78 ·
Some people? Hell all one has to do is search all of you recent posts to see that you get into it with somebody in every thread you post on.... doesn't matter what the topic is either! You're the freakin' expert on everything that is landscape related! Hell.... I'm not even sure why you're slumming it as a landscaper! To hear you talk you should be wearing a lab coat with the name Hunter or Simplot or Toro stenciled on it! It's not that you're not a nice person man I'm sure you are! It's that every post you make is just dripping with a certain smug condescending arrogance that just jumps off of the screen at whoever is reading it! You act like you're the only person in the world who is capable of installing or maintaining an irrigation system! Get over yourself dude!
Get used to the weirdos on this site or find some other place to vent. We all have a axe to grind, and poke holes as needed, but I'd trust the hard core on this forum to talk the truth (their truth), so take it for what it is; one person's opinion.

#79 · (Edited)
Blah, blah, blah. The people I have a problem with are the people who think their shiit can't stink .... and even when shown to be in error they refuse to admit it. And you are absolutely right .... I have little tolerance for certain people and their bullshiit information and "facts" on this forum.

That said, you will hard pressed to find anything I have posted (other than opinion) on this, or any other forum on this site, that I can't back up with credible publications. I don't present opinion as fact, and unlike some people here, I actually care about presenting accurate and actionable information. If you or anyone else has a problem with that then tough shiit.

#80 ·
Blah, blah, blah. The people I have a problem with are the people who think their shiit can't stink .... and even when shown to be in error they refuse to admit it. You will hard pressed to find anything I have posted (other than opinion) on this, or any other forum on this site, that I can't back up with credible publications. I don't present opinion as fact, and unlike some people here, I actually care about presenting accurate and actionable information. If you or anyone else has a problem with that then tough shiit.
Hey... I've never had a problem with the information you post. I know you've done your research. I know you know your ****. How long have you and I gone round and round over things? 3 or 4 years now? It's just the way you carry yourself here. You come off as an A$$hole every time you post! Until you have installed irrigation in every state represented here on this board your experience and opinions are limited to the work that you have done in northern / central CA. Everything is different by region. You're a smart guy.... you should realize this! Not everybody is going to do things the same way as you and not everybody who doesn't do things the same way as you is an idiot hack like you so desperately try to make them out to be.

#81 ·
Hey... I've never had a problem with the information you post. I know you've done your research. I know you know your ****. How long have you and I gone round and round over things? 3 or 4 years now? It's just the way you carry yourself here. You come off as an A$$hole every time you post! Until you have installed irrigation in every state represented here on this board your experience and opinions are limited to the work that you have done in northern / central CA. Everything is different by region. You're a smart guy.... you should realize this! Not everybody is going to do things the same way as you and not everybody who doesn't do things the same way as you is an idiot hack like you so desperately try to make them out to be.
Give it up, Jack, it matters only for the health of the plants: not you, not me, not Kiril.

#82 ·
Look Dude ... if you or anyone else cops an attitude with me expect to get the same in return. Treat me with respect, and I will do the same.

Yes you are right, there are differences in irrigation management around the country, due to different climate, soils, water quality, plants, etc..... but there are considerably more similarities, particular when you are talking about design and installation. Hydraulics and the laws of physics don't change from region to region or state to state .... do they? You are a smart guy, certainly you must realize this.

CA contains nearly every climate zone available, with a pretty wide variety of soils as well. If there is any single state that has the best chance of being able to represent the widest range of potential irrigation scenarios it is this state. So in the end what do we have ..... not so different after all.

And Mike is right .... in the end it comes down to an issue of managing soil and plant health .... nothing more. Hopefully in doing so, one is taking the necessary steps to use our natural resources responsibly.

#86 ·
He is from cali... he is jealous of:

Our jobs
Our freedom
Our guns
And we don't have Pelosi

Other than that he will be your buddy if you agree with him all the time, and don't mention that his State is BROKE.

Where I am the wind blows between 10-30 mph all the time, and this year has been worse than that. Also we havn't dipped under 103 in a week and a half.

Also no rain for 6 MONTHS???? OMG that sounds like a good year to me. Honestly I can't remember the last time it rained, we had some scattered showers with the last storm in the gulf but it missed me.

#88 ·
Other than that he will be your buddy if you agree with him all the time, and don't mention that his State is BROKE.
You are welcome to disagree with me, just get your facts straight before you do.

Where I am the wind blows between 10-30 mph all the time, and this year has been worse than that. Also we havn't dipped under 103 in a week and a half.
Pretty damn windy here too.

Also no rain for 6 MONTHS???? OMG that sounds like a good year to me. Honestly I can't remember the last time it rained, we had some scattered showers with the last storm in the gulf but it missed me.
And here I thought the majority of TX was classified as a semi-arid climate, not a Mediterranean climate. Silly me .... why should we let facts stand in our way.

#89 ·
So, as far as I can gather, it seems as though MP's have thier place in odd shaped areas.

In Medium throw distances it is better to use the rotor than the MP on turf.

Dirty water situations it is better to use a rotor

Low pressure (in my experince) is a good place to use the MP.

#90 ·
You are welcome to disagree with me, just get your facts straight before you do.

Pretty damn windy here too.

And here I thought the majority of TX was classified as a semi-arid climate, not a Mediterranean climate. Silly me .... why should we let facts stand in our way.
East Texas is way different than West. Central is different than North. And North TX is completely different than South. Classifying the whole state of TX as one climate is a mistake. The only thing you can say about the whole State is that our bank roll is bigger than Cali's

#92 ·
So, as far as I can gather, it seems as though MP's have thier place in odd shaped areas.
Agreed

In Medium throw distances it is better to use the rotor than the MP on turf.
> 25 feet .... agreed

Dirty water situations it is better to use a rotor
Agreed, assuming a standard rotor is appropriate

Low pressure (in my experince) is a good place to use the MP.
Absolutely agreed.

#93 ·
East Texas is way different than West. Central is different than North. And North TX is completely different than South. Classifying the whole state of TX as one climate is a mistake. The only thing you can say about the whole State is that our bank roll is bigger than Cali's
I didn't say the whole state ... did I? Maybe you should check a climate map sometime TXI.

#96 ·
Agreed! Here we are in this little moment when we agree with each other!

Dont read my post about Cali's bank roll, our little moment will be short lived.
I could care less what the financial status of this state is ... however don't let that stop you and Pete from pulling the typical Texan "we are better then everyone else" attitude.

Oh ... and here is your climate map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.