MP Rotator

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txgrassguy, Feb 6, 2008.

1. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I have done a bit of searching yet haven't really been able to determine who here uses these nozzles and how are they working out.
    The primary question I have is with the nozzle rotating the way it does while emitting the reduced amount of water, what type of coverage should be designed for in an environment of sustained 10-15mph, high humidity/high temperatures?
    So, essentially I am looking for feedback before I install these rotors on a proposed job.
    Irrigation source is from a lake via a variable speed pump, approximately 20 gpm at 60 psi at farthest point of application.
    The water source is extremely high in TDS, calcites, and suspended organic matter. Further filtration beyond the submersible being emplaced in a 4" perforated well casing will probably not be purchased by the customer.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be nervous using small orifice heads, tho the MPs have a built-in screen, they could
    plug. I hate to say it, but I never had impacts screw up in dirty water.

3. Mprotators need clean water with zero grit.....

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't use MP Rotators (or any stream rotor) in a windy application. More like ordinary rotors with low-angle nozzles. And as always, other reliability issues aside, the crappy-water champ would be a Maxipaw impact.

5. Mike Leary

As long as you've plenty of pressure (50+ at the head) Stream Rotor types work
    surprisingly well.:)

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'd never run stream rotors on ground water without additional straining, despite their having those great basket strainers in each head.

7. Mike Leary

I agree..the point I was making was windage is no problem, sorta.
    The ground water issue with those is spot on, unless you got a crew to
    clean strainers & baskets all day long!

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the input - reaffirms my concern about using these types of heads in anything other than a flooded suction clean water source.
    I'll stay with my gear driven rotors and sprays without filters so the crap ingested by the pump gets passed through the heads.