MP Rotators: Check Valves vs Flow Control

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Oct 2, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

I know you are supposed to use the spray bodies with the check valves in them for the MP's, but I was talking to a guy who installs regular hunter spray bodies with the MP nozzles and just installs a valve with flow control on it to control pressure...does this actually work or is this completely wrong?

I have also tried to adjust the radius on MP nozzles that were in regular spray bodies, no check valve, and they didn't seem to decrease at all...does the non check valve body have something to do with that?

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The check valve is not needed. Pressure regulating stem would be better. We still use regular heads without CV or PRS and all works fine.

3. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

You want the bodies with the in stem pressure regulator. Both Rain Bird and Hunter sell one. You can run them without the PRS and have no issues but I find that on the Rain Bird rotary nozzles you are better off with the PRS body.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Your pressure may determine if you need to use pressure regualted heads. With higher pressures it may be hard to reduce radius. If the pressure is higher I'll use regulated heads. I'm a fan of check valve heads to prevent low head drainage & wet spots.

5. bob92553

bob92553 LawnSite Member

If you want to control the pressure the right way. You can buy a pressure regulator for the valve. Rainbird has one that goes in between the solenoid and the valve.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I use checks on all heads, and PRS on most as well. The only time you wouldn't want to use a PRS would be if your nozzle pressure is already at or below your target nozzle pressure, or if you are trying to squeeze a little extra radius out of a bad design.