mp rotators...or not

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Currier, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

So I've been big into putting mp rotators on small residentials (city water). Then you get these calls about other companies hacking the use of them. The customer wants to be like everyone else, you change out to spray nozzles.

So what do you think? Do these heads live up to the hype? and even if they do if the customer is not ready for them should you use them or just continue with the status quo...

So much for water conservation and the utilization of new technologies.

2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I am not a pro, but I played one last year. I put in my system and used MP Rotators on a bed that went from narrow to wide to narrow and traversed three bed heights. In my opinion, anyone trash talking MP's either hasn't used them or can't get them because of some sort of vendor agreement.

I am ripping out one inefficient, odd shaped rotor zone and rebuilding it with MP's -- as soon as this heat breaks.

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to do a thorough sell of the product so that the competition doesn't have an opportunity to trash talk your company. It is your job to make sure the customer is ready and they will sell the product for you. I've had several like the system so much that they've encouraged others to get the MP heads.

The hype as you call it is based on many years of agricultural application. The MP is not new, just the application.

4. I am sold on the rotator, but only for certain apps such as a retro fit of a limited pressure issue or were you really need to put down the water at a slow rate such as a hill with the clay soils we have here.

John

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The MP-Rotator zones that we have installed are all working well and the grass is looking terrific.

We have approximately eight sites where older portable buildings have been removed and we'll have to redo the irrigation around them. MP-Rotators will be put in because we can retrofit the existing sprinklers on the zones adjacent to where the buildings used to be and add new MPRs in to cover the areas where the buildings vacated. This will negate having to add any additional valves to cover the new areas. Then in a couple of years when they bring in buildings to the exact same spots we'll just cap off the lateral lines supplying those areas.