MP3 hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NCLawnMedic, Feb 27, 2005.

1. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of any hearing protection that has MP3 built in or accepts a connections from an MP3 player. I'm tired of the radio and want to listen to my music.
  2. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I used peltors for a while but didnt like them, they are too bulky and in the summer they were uncomfortable. Now I have a iriver mp3 player with built in radio. I have a pair of sony fontopia earbuds. they block out alot of outside noise. I can even listen to talk radio while using the back pack blower. There are several brands that make earplug style earbuds. I like this setup much better and the day goes by alot faster. :)
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I see Bose makes what they call noise canceling headphones, which you could plug into an MP3 player. They might be to fragile/expensive to have out in the field though.
  4. Canon Landscaping

Canon Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I use the bose noise canceling head phones with an Iriver mp3 player. They work great I use them when I am on my mower dozer and skid steer. The quality of the sound is great I can't hear any noise when I operate a mower or skid steer. They distort or make a buzz sound sometimes when I am on my dozer and the engine lugs down I think it has something to do with the frequency of the sound but over all they work great.
  5. metiernan

metiernan LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

6. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Get a set of headphones that you can fit inside your regular ear muffs. I have a pair ($10) that hooks over your ear & they stay in place under the ear muffs. Earbuds do not work too well , as they falll out when ear muffs are put on.
  7. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

You should be careful when using noise canceling headphones for hearing protection. I saw on Discovery channel that the noise canceling headphones actually are not protecting your ears. You will be receiving the damage between what you would normally get from the equipment with out protection and double that.

You just cannot hear anything since the headphones are producing a sound to counteract the ambient noise.
  8. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Elvex has a headphone jack, allowing you to hook up a cd player or a walkman. I had a set, they work good.
  9. wth18359

wth18359 LawnSite Member

These work pretty well. No electronics, just decent noise reduction. They are a little tight on the head at first, but not too bad. Work well with my MP3 player. I didn't buy from this site, but they are the same, and a few dollars less.
  10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish bose would make headphones just like the peltor worktunes. I would buy them even if they cost $300.