1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

MPG for their truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jds720, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so im in the market for a truck, its gota be a quad-cab (Have kids), but i also dont wanna loose all my $$ to gas. I was looking at the Toyota Tacoma, and it has the best MPG for the truck class (www.fueleconomy.gov/)

Any advice on trucks???
  2. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I think your on the right track, for a second i thought this was going to be another i only get 18mpg while towing a 30' trailer WHATS WRONG! :hammerhead: A friend of mine has a new toyota crew cab- i am pretty sure it has an 8's bed too but only a v6. It tows his boat just fine (only a 17') and gets near 15-17mpg NOT WHILE TOWING, best of luck with the new truck hunt, keep us updated.
  3. jds720

Im getting 12-14 on average w/ my Isuzu Rodeo! Yuk! and thats only pulling my open trailer 2-days a week! And it has no bed! :hammerhead: I checked out Chevys Hybrid Silverado and it get sucky MPG and is wayyy expensive!
  4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

It depends on how heavy the workload is. Several years ago I mistakenly bought a Chevy with the 5.0L for mileage. I could get 16.8mpg highway on a good day (back then that was pretty good).

Then reality set in. When I would load it up for work, etc - and if I was running the A/C, it dropped clear down to a ball-crushing 7mpg. And I still drive the truck today... Sniff... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

So don't buy a wuss truck unless it's only gonna do wuss work.
  5. jds720

thats bad!!
  6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

One of chevy's new silverados has a fuel management system. It has a V8 engine but is able to run on only 6 cylinders part of the time. Like when you are towing it uses all 8 cylinders but if you are just cruising down the highway it only uses 4 cylinders. So with this silverado you get all the power of a V8 but some of the fuel economy of a 4 cylinder. I know that it probably doesn't have the best fuel economy compared to the toyota but it is something to think about.
  7. jds720

Any idea what model Chevy??
  8. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

You will find that when you work a truck the toyota will get no better gas milage. I have said it before and I will say it again when an engine is working and creating power it will burn the fuel. I do not care if it is a 4 cyclender with a 5 spd tranny or a old school big block v8 with an auto. I do not care how new it is or how old it is. If the engine is working hard it has to burn the fuel to create the power plain and simple. This is why my neighbors toyota tocoma only gets 12 mpg towing a light weight single axle snowmachine trailer with 1 quad on it and my 72 powerwagon with a 318 v8 with a 16 foot trailer with all of my equipment on it down the highway gets 12 and my one ton dually with a 440 gas hog v8 gets 13mpg on the highway with a 10000 lbs load. In town the numbers all look about the same about 8 mpg with all three towing. Now the up side to the tacoma is when it is running down the road with out a trailer and getting 22 and both my trucks are geting 13mpg. If you are working the truck and pulling a load full time do yourself a favor and go with a bigger v8. you will be happier. If you have the money get you a diesel It is the only way to break the visous cycle. Oh yeah my 440 barely even huffs when pulling my lawn equipment in town and their is way more poser and torque than I need so if I want to get around grandma all I do is give it a little gas and it does it without straining.
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500HD with the Cummins Diesel, and get 13 pulling the mowers (I weigh in at 17,800 pounds loaded) and it gets 22 by itself. Wouldn't trade it for anything. There are a lot of wana-be diesel's out there, but they do not have the bulk and guts of the ol straight line Cummins.
  10. jds720

ok i found the chevy that does that...