MPG Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Mar 5, 2012.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

When I pull my trailer with my 1500 sierra, I get about 8 miles to the gallon. I would really like to get better MPG than that am I am considering getting a diesel. The diesel that I am looking at is a 2006 f350 dully. what kinda MPG do you get with that truck. I am thinking 12-13. Im also considering doing the E3 spark plugs and then doing the K&N airfilter for my current truck. Do you think that will give me what a diesel will or do I just need to see what kind of deal I can get on the 350. And then on the other hand, if I do the k&n and e3 spark plugs with the diesel, I will proab end up getting better MPG either way.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

While those are good plugs and filters they will not get you an extra 4~5 mpg. Do you really need a 1 ton dually? Your best bet is an F250 deisel.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TheChiefsLawnCare

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I also really like the look of a dully lol. Do you get better MPG with a truck thats not a dully cause its less weight and less resistance

4. luis@NJ

luis@NJ LawnSite Senior Member

A diesel will almost always get way better mpg's. You can do various things to a gas engine to increase mpg's like a tune-up, intake, chips. Etc. But nothing beats the sound of a diesel truck. I am looking to up-grade my truck to a diesel. Im part of the 8-10 miles per gallon club as well haha. :cry:

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

yeah i love the diesel sound and smell. esp the 6.0L. I wish they still made em loud. I think cummins still has the best sounding. im thinking im goin to look at the 350 and see what they can work out

6. TheChiefsLawnCare

i just hate to get rid of it because i have tow mirrors on the way, just put a navigation in it got my windows tinted, exhaust, and hids

7. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

ha ha, the diesel dosen't use spark plugs . and the cummins is a 6.7.... ha ha spark plugs for a diesel,, :):)

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

yeah i no diesel dosent use spark plugs. i no i said that in my original post haha. o well, correction change the air filter to a k&n lol

9. FullMoonLandscaping

FullMoonLandscaping LawnSite Member

should be easy to sell that truck

10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

you dont need a dually Matt! sometimes i wish i didnt have one, but it pulls my goose neck trailers alot better than my f250 did. look a for an F250 or dodge 2500. no reason to have a dually to pull a 16' enclosed trailer. plus parking sux with a dually.