MPG question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HacMan91, Dec 16, 2003.

1. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

I just bought a 04 chevrolet duramax 3500. On the highway from the dealer I got 15 mpg (200 miles). This week pulling my trailer I got around 11 mpg. I thought I would get a little better than that. The truck has around 500 miles on it now. Im pulling a 8 1/2 X 20 enclosed trailer. The mowers are a 36" exmark, 36" walker and a 52" exmark. The rest is misc weedeaters, hedge clippers and hand tools. I have a friend with a F350 that pulls a huge camper and he gets 15 mpg pulling or not. Is my truck going to p/up a couple of miles once it gets broke in? Thanks
  2. Alan Reagan

Alan Reagan LawnSite Member

I doubt it's going to get much better than that. Was that 15 mpg empty? Ouch. I have a Dodge and get about 14 towing (flatbed grossing about 7,000 most of the time). Empty, I go 20-22 depending on the time of year and quality of fuel. My Brother in Law has a Ford 6.0 and the best he has gotten was 18 mpg on a road trip to Mississippi. The only Duramax owner I know said the best he has gotten in his first year of ownership was 17 empty. That's a 2500. Mine only improved 1 mpg after coming off the lot and it took about 10,000 miles before I saw it. I wouldn't expect any large gains. That's a 300 hp engine pulling an enclosed trailer, probably on mostly short hauls.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Arn't you glad you payed an extra $5k to get that great fuel milage. I had 4 fords since 96 and not 1 was any good for milage.
    And don't believe whats your friend gets towing alot of people have no idea how to figure mpg.

4. Alan Reagan

When I'm towing, I'm glad I did pay the extra money. This Ram is a horse when it comes to towing. And I know how to figure mileage. I don't think my BIL or the other guy was bragging with what they are getting mpg wise. 17 or 18 is not that great IMHO. I can live with mine, though. A diesel with 4:10 rears getting around 21 is fine with me.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I really do agree with that statement. I was one of he guys who spent the extra $5,000 for a diesel in my 03 Ram for one of the reasons being exellent gas mileage. Well Im getting close to 13 city and 11 when towing the trailer. What happend to the 20MPG everyone told me id get??? I have gotten as high as 18mpg doing strictly highway driving...... All I can say is dont get a cummins diesel to save money on fuel. Get it because it can pull like no other motor!
  6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got an o1 dodge a few weeks ago and its getting 11.9 towing 14 empty around town not as good as I expected but better than the 7mpg my f150 was getting
  7. Alan Reagan

That 01 should be getting much better than that. That's what mine is. I would suggest you tighten the intercooler hoses and snug down the intake manifold bolts (both torque to 18 ft/lbs). That's the biggest cause of poor mileage on that engine.
  8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Something is wrong IMO. We have two 2500's with the Duramax and auto Allison. We are getting low to mid 20's on long trips and high teens locally. Both are chipped and have K&N intakes so that may be the difference.
  9. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Mine has the auto alison too. The pulling power is great compared to my f250 I had. No complaints about the power. Anybody have any experience with a K and N or air raid. I dont care about the 15% more power but a mile or two per gallon would be nice. Thanks
  10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Do the intake and some exhaust work. Chip is nice if you don't mind the initial cost. These three will get your milage up.

I traded an F250 for mine too. Big difference eh?