Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by newblade, Sep 4, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

Can you get better mpg with premium gasoline? Who has done test?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

In some small cars, you can get somewhat better mpg with mid grade, premium is a waste unless you have a high compression forced induction engine imo.
  3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Some tests have shown that you can get a small increase in mileage with higher octane fuel. The increase tho is usually never enough to compensate for the additional money spent on the higher octane fuel.
  4. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

I have always run 93. I switched to 87 for 6 tanks(156gal) and saw a drop of 2-3 MPG. I couldn't stomach going from 13.5-14 down to 10-11. This is mostly interstate driving. I do alot more than lawn maint. and drive many miles a week in a Z71 with trailer. Sometimes up to 1500/week. Even if its costing a few cents more, it has to be better for the motor if its getting a few more miles out of those gallons?
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Todays engines don't really need the added octane. Yes they have mostly 9.5-10:1 compression ratio's which are higher then the 8-8.5:1 of the 80's but they're so much more effiecent that the computer will adjust timing as needed so detonation isn't a problem. A higher octane fuel in a newer car/truck is going to burn hotter thus more effiecent probably. Thats why there will be a small increas in mileage. All vehicles are differnet though, like about stated that they saw 3mpg better with higher octane, while others might not see any increase.
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My 04 f 150 4.2 went from 15 to 17 by upgrading to 89 octane. At the high cost of fuel adding a dime is insignificant percentage wise and figureing the difference over 1000 mi I should save eight dollars. The truck runs stronger also.

On a small motor with higher compression ratios and computerized timing controls higher octane may be smarter. The computer bumps the timing up increasing power and mileage.

This is hauling my loaded trailer.

Empty I get 22 on the HWY with 87. I have not checked with 89 empty.