1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Who has used these and what are the neg/pos things about them? Suggestions about spacing them. Do you still do head to head in grass/shrub areas?
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We've been using them since their invention...They're great! Spacing standard
    head to head. For low pressure/gpm use or high pressure, don't matter.
    Nothing negative except the performance of the 1000 series is kinna dweebie, the strip sprays will work, but @ 40 psi to get some movement. Great for re-dos where someone screwed up spacing or pressure.:clapping:mprotator.com
  3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Been using them for a couple of years. Only negative is that you get soaked setting them. Other than that, 100% reliable.
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with the others... we've had good success with them. The better the pressure the better the performance but we have some installed in marginal PSI areas that work well. They just don't rotate as fast but they still do the job. I'll also add that the 1000's radius should not be taken at face value unless you have good pressure. Expect and plan on only about 8' and they work well. Also have used the corner strips in a couple of smaller grass areas by buildings and they've performed well, getting moisture to areas we've had problems with in the past by either over/under-watering with other types of sprinklers and keeping water off of the buildings.
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Have rectified two systems that had pressure flow problems when we picked them up. Work great, a fraction of the water.
  6. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

One negitive is the replacement cost when you run over them with the lawn mower.

I've got a few that I've chopped up a couple of times located at the lawns edge, the lawns edge is raised (compared to the height of the driveway and sidewalk) and I've had the lawn mower set real low for that 1st cutting of the year.

But otherwise, I've loved them. Designed my system from the start to use them. The use so little water that I can be running the lawn sprinkler system, the drip irrigation system, and take a shower and not even notice as the valves cut in and out.
  7. Mike Leary

One negative vs. all the positive is not too shabby...they are pricey, but think
    of the $$$$$$$$$ alternative adding zones & bigger clocks because some fool
    didn't know the basics!:hammerhead:
  8. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

Even the negative price can be offset by using fewer heads. With regular sprays, you have to design with 12' - 15' spacing. But with MPRotators, you can design for 20' - 25' spacing (20' for 2000 series, 25' for 3000 series).
  9. Mike Leary

I hope you are talkin' about turf, rather than planting zones, my young friend.

No head in plantings will cover after plants mature with that spacing..but, you knew that. 5' centers rule in plantings.:waving:
  10. Mike Leary

For retro-fits...they are workable on those kind of spacings. It's a "bandaid
    crutch", but saves a lot of our butts & client's $$$$.:cry:
    We've all done it..no guilt, just picking up after someone else's f...up.