Mr. Fix It Strikes Again =)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjgray, Jun 8, 2005.

1. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

One of the companies we sub-contract work from gave us a Proline Torro that they said needed a new engine a few weeks ago. My husband had a bit of extra time today to take a look at it. He discovered four wires touching, fixed them and replaced a fuse and the beast cranks right up and mows like a pro:D

It is so nice to have a man around that can fix anything....half of the equipment we have has been given to us broken and he has fixed.....talk about keeping our cost down. Damn I love that man :D

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I pick up lawnmowers, trimmers, saws, snowblowers, etc when I see them on trash day. In my spare time (usually in the winter) I repair them and re-sell them. I can't count how many times it is usually a minor thing that takes only a couple of minutes to fix. A lot of people these days have no mechanical ability and would just as soon throw it away as to fix it.

3. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly what they were doing with the Torro....just didn't have time to mess with it I suppose. It took Donald all of three hours to get it back running in tip top shape *we could probably sell it now for $800 easy:D*

I am really really lucky. The man can fix anything. He does most of our mechanic work, computer work, and equipment work. He tells me that one day I am going to ask him to fix something that he can't do but I always respond with it hasn't happened yet :waving:

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

wife calles me the boy genius, can fix anything, cars boats, carpentry plumbing electrical heating, you name it..... really just showes my checked past of emloyment history hahahahah

5. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same reputation, although I am not sure I have earned it. I'm pretty stubborn and I'll take anything apart.

Today, I will be taking apart the washing machine to fix a water leak.

My wife comments all the time that she'd be lost without me, because she doesn't know how to fix all this stuff. I keep telling her that I don't either; I just take it all apart and look for anything that looks funny.

The problem for me, is that friends and family are always calling and asking me to "look at" something or another.

"But, I've never even seen a minilab from any closer than the counter when I pick up my pictures!"

"I know, but could you take a look at it?"

Plbbbt.

6. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I hate the guys who drive around my neighborhood and take crap out of the trash. Fix it, resell it, should be against the law if you ask me. if the person who put it out wanted to make money, they could sell it. I yell at the jerk who comes around my area every Thursday(trash day) and goes through my garbage looking for stuff to sell at a garage sale or something.

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

About 8 years ago a LCO that I knew sold me a Dixie that he had used for 4 years. He said it just didn't have enough power to cut grass anymore and he said it needed a new engine. I gave him $350 for it and took it home.

After installing new plugs, air filter and removing and cleaning the carb I started cutting grass with it. I used that mower on 35 lawns per week for 3 years, then sold it to another guy for $900. By that time the mower did need a rebuild, but I made a ton of money with that thing.

It just goes to show you that if you can fix your own stuff, you can keep a lot more of your earnings.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

EVERY single mower I have right now, ( I have three as of today :D ) was FREE!!

The first two 21" Exmarks I got were given to me by my former employer ( Thanks Tom!!) They needed oil chnges, plugs, one needed a new wheel, and carb clean outs.. They are 1999 models that he told me didn't even have a full season on them.. I believe it, they run like new..

My newest edition I picked up today from a gentleman who owns a Small OPE repair shop ( thanks Bob!!).. It's a very old, but very clean looking Toro Proline 21, with the Suzuki!! Excellent compression and spark.. He said he thought It may have a tranny prob.. Thank you Jesus for all of my Mower blessings!! :D

9. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I've actually been debating whether I can make any money by working a deal with customers, where I give them a certain number of free cuts in exchange for their mowers and stuff when they sign up for weekly service. I could clean it up and resell it for more than the free cuts are worth. The added bonus would be that they would be that much less likely to drop me and start doing the work themselves.

"PUSH, PULL, OR TOW THAT OLD MOWER OUT TO OUR TRAILER AND GET ONE FREE MOW PER MONTH FOR YOUR FIRST FOUR MONTHS OF WEEKLY SERVICE!!!"

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like your way of thinking!! Once you get their gear, you can hold them hostage for service!! :D

Seriously, I thought about that at one time, but once you are really busy, I doubt you'll have time to fool with their old junk.. But I really like the idea that if wanna cut it again themselves, they'll need a new mower :help: Making yourself indespensible..