Mr.Glenn Landscaping FORD OR TOYOTA

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mr.glenn, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mr.glenn

mr.glenn LawnSite Member

I Need A New Truck, Currently All My Equip. Is Gas Powered, 2 Z-turn Mowers, Small Tractor, 18' Dual Axle Trailer And A 05 F-150. I Can Not Make-up My Mind Between A F-250/350 Diesel Or A New Tundra Crewmax. I Drove Both And They Are Awesome. The Truck Will Also Be My Daily Driver. Any Input Guys?

2. treadlite

treadlite LawnSite Member

go with the ford..... better, stronger truck that's made to work for a living. The Toyota is a well-built, reliable truck for someone who needs a car that will occasionally haul a small load. the diesel in the ford will give you the same or better fuel economy as the toyota, will last longer as a work truck, will haul any trailer you'll ever have as your business expands and you'll feel (and look) more like a man driving the ford. Real men don't drive toyota trucks!!

3. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

I would say Ford. One of the companies I worked for used all F250's for their maintenance crews and they looked and ran great.

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

If your trailer weight will not exceed the Tundra's towing capacity you'd be a fool not to buy the Toyota. I've owned too many Ford's in my life and I know them in and out. The Toyo's will last longer nicer ride and resale on them is insane. Guys sell them after two years for $2000 less than they paid new. I think with Ford's new CEO and re-org they'll have some really good trucks in a couple of years just not yet.

5. I.D.R Lawn Care

I.D.R Lawn Care LawnSite Member

First post on this site, long time lurker.:waving: Go with the Ford, I was a mechanic (Dodge=job security) for many years. The new Tundra's are overated junk, they are tossing camshafts faster than Toyota can build new ones. Catastrophic engine failures are not uncommon, they have high resale because real men that work don't buy Toyota's.:nono: Go with the stroke and don't look back. Hello All:drinkup:

6. SilkKnitter

SilkKnitter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Well if you won't buy a Chevy go with the Ford hands down! I really hope your kidding about using a Toyota for a work truck!

7. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah go with the Ford. I know a guy who traded his 2000 F350 PSD on a new Toyota, just because at 150K he had had to replace an auto tranny, couple sets of brakes, and some other stuff, so he thought he had a lemon:hammerhead: Anyway he has a 12' dump trailer and a 773 skid steer, and I know he hasn't hooked up to that yet, but when he does i know he'll want his "lemon" 'stroke back. I drive a 96 F250 Powerstroke everyday pulling my 18' trailer with a mid z, 54" Stander, and a 36" walk behind, 2 21's, trimmers, blowers, etc. Anyway, I wound up next to a new toyota at a light the other day pulling a little bitty kubota tractor and we both got into our trucks pretty hard, it wasn't even a contest, my 11 year old 'stroke with 200K waxed this new big time work truck toyota. If you want power and a truck you can grow into, i.e. pull bigger stuff, get the Powerstroke.

8. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes Yes, Get the Duramax!!! LOL

Tim

9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with a Duramax also, just because the 0% interest Chevrolet is offering and also a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Ford is just 60,000 miles. Thats me, not you. If I were you and my only choices were Ford or Toyota I would wait for Toyota to come out with a 3/4 ton deisel and by it. All of the above trucks have parts that are built places other than the USA. Is the Bashing on here because they are "built" in Japan or have foreign parts on them? If so then what kinda engines to you run on your equipment? Kawasaki? Honda?

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard to compare the two because they are not at all the same class of vehicle. Like all 1500 series pickups, the Tundra is primarily a passenger vehicle with a cargo area, albeit one with a powerful drivetrain. The 250/2500 series and larger trucks are designed more with hauling and towing in mind. You can tow a large heavy trailer AND carry heavy cargo at the same time without exceeding your rear axle limits. Not so with the 1500 series trucks. If Toyota built a 2500 series WORK TRUCK (not some cowboy Cadillac) with either their 5.7 V8 or a diesel that was competively priced I would be all over it.