Mr. Letsshootthebull at the gas pump??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Oct 30, 2006.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this happens to all of us when we're at the pumps filling up. It happens to me about once a week. The guy on the other side of the pump sees a trailer full of equipment he wishes he had and he comes over to "eye up" the equipment and to shoot the breeze. I guess I look like I have all the time in the world to answer his questions and listen to his stories. He asks says stuff like "Ferris....I've never heard of them" and "how much do one of those mowers cost?", "Redmax....who makes those and where do you get them", "how much do you charge to cut an average size yard?". I don't know about you guys but I just pretend like I can't hear him and I say "what??" after every one of his dumb questions in hopes that he will go back to his side of the pump. What kind of question do you guys get and how do you handle this type of situation when you're really busy and don't have time to BS??

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

People do that to us all the time. Equipment, trucks trailers etc. Best one was this guys ask what engine is in the truck to pull a trailer like that full of equipment? I said point blake "I really don't know. All I can say is it Da*& big! The other guy said - it must be! Now to be honest with you all - typical landscape trailer with 2 Z and 1 44Wb.

3. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up two accounts by shootin the breeze this year lol. It can eventually pay off. The most common question: How much does a machine like that cost? lol. I tell them the truth so they shut up.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I usually ignore them... Keep right on doing what I'm doing, don't say a word, don't acknowledge their presence...
    Most get 1 maybe 2 sentences out and head on. If they don't, a short-fused answer or two usually takes care of it.

Wait until they get smart, and come up to you pretending (and expertly so) like they have work needs doing...

It gets better with time, once I had enough of it and developed that F.U. look on my face, most stay away from the gitgo.

It's also the reason I got into Fleet account fueling stations, almost never get that thou they do have one station where the funny guys go, I think it's a dealership uses the place.

Other than that, the ones frustrate me come up to me while I'm working, the gas station problem is basically over with.
    I try ignoring those but it doesn't always work, they keep on and on and on... Until I give them the boot, then it stops.

5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

What's with you guys with the grouchy attitude towards your fellow man? It's not like you're going anywhere while you're pumping that gas. So maybe the guy next to you is a bozo, a little pleasant conversation could not possibly hurt you. When you're done filling up, say, "Hey man, got to go. Have a good one," and get on down the road to your next job.

Or maybe that is one of the differences between the places some of you live, and my part of the Ozarks, where it is totally normal to be friendly to someone you never saw before and will probably never see again. And maybe this is part of the reason we don't have so much of the drive-by shootings, people ripping off your equipment while you're working in the customer's back yard, etc.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

This is a good topic.....Just happened to me today....A start up lawn guy comes up to me while we were @ the Landscape Supply place picking up top soil and mulch....He walks up, and looks at all the flowers (40 Flats) and the equipment on the other truck and just start chopping his jaws away....man thats a whole lotta flowers,...man that sure is some nice stuff you got....both them your trucks......I mean this guys talked about his mother, his kids, when he was little....mean while I am trying to be nice, was having a terrific day, High 70's, and nothing but sunshine and here this guy was ruining my day.....He asked question, after question, as I sat there and eye balled my supplier so that we would hurry up and get someone to take care of my order.....but he finally pissed me off when he asked if I had some customers that I didnt want..mmmaaaaannnn...I told that **blanker** that I worked hard to acquire and maintain each and everyone of my customers, and as bad as it was in the begining for me, I never asked anyone for anything.....There are plenty of people out there needed someone with a murry 42 inch rez sit down, and about 4 push mowers all looking like they were bought at a yard sale, but where I service, the homeowners asscioation would make him pack up and leave and fine the homeowner for potentially bring down the value of the neighbor:) .....I mean hell, I gave this guy settle hints that I really wasnt trying to hold to much of a convo....but he just didnt get it until I had to cut him off.....and I hated to do that.....and I really dont have a problem with anyone coming up and looking and making a comment or two but, time is money, and I try to keep it short and simple.....I used to enjoy it when I was growing, but now that I am not working 12 hrs days any more time is precious......

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

its kinda like some of the threads on here, you get tired of repeating the same thing over and over and over.

8. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

The Biggest one I get Is " Do You Do lawn Care??", keep in mind I have a Sign on both sides of my truck and back glass that says Daughtry Lawn Care.:sleeping: :hammerhead:

9. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

I would find it a sorry life if I didn't have a few minutes to shoot the breeze. What is your purpose in life, what if people treated your wife and kids like that everyday.
    Yea there the same dumb questions, but that guy might really have a crumby life, and talking to you could be a bright spot in his day.

10. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I usually keep on doing what I'm doing. Make it seem like I'm in a rush and give really basic answers. Usually they get the hint and I dont loose much time cuz somone whats to chew the fat.