1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mr. West, I'm trying to advertise for you!

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by JohnsonLawn, Oct 4, 2006.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm driving my rig to a clients home the other day and I see a competitor passing me with his rig. I notice that he has graphics or stickers on his truck and trailer advertising the equipment that he uses and endorses such as: Walker, echo, etc.. So I start thinking that is a great idea especially since there seems to be somewhat negative opinions by some on Lesco equipment. So, I turn around to ask him about the advertising stickers and he told me that he called the dealer and they ordered them for him from the manufacturer. I said great, because I have had an easy time getting anything I need from Lesco (till now). So I call my service center to inquire and they tell me that they will call corporate and see what they can do for me. Well, I get a call back today with disappointing news, seem that you guys are worried about some liability thing or something by me having your graphics on my trailer or truck. Does this mean that I should leave my mowers at the shop from now on because they say Lesco all over them? Maybe I should remove all the lettering from my mowers, I don't know. I am in NO WAY blaming the guys at the service center. I am a PROUD Lesco supporter and would love to be able show that I endorse your equipment like other LCO's using other brands. I think it would be a great way to let customers and other LCO's see that your equipment IS top notch. If a person or competitor goes by one of my properties and sees how nice it looks they are not going to walk over to check out what mowers I am using. With logos on the trailer, everybody would see them and say "wow those machines really do cut and stripe great" get the idea. Sorry so long just voicing my opinion and for the first time I feel a little let down by Lesco
  2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

This is called co-op advertising.

You see alot of plumbers and other trade vehicles with this type of advertising. Usually those companies pay for the lettering of the truck to have their company listed on it.

Ive asked lesco for years about this, but they dont do it.

I wouldn't feel let down by them. Its just their policy not to do this. Plus Im sure it would raise the price of the fert Im buying from them by a few pennies...and I dont want that!

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

4. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

Why would you ever consider clouding your advertising message by putting somebody else's logo on your truck?

You need to advertise YOU!

Your truck needs YOUR name on it, never make that confusing by putting some other companies name on it too.

Do you want people to see your truck and think they just saw Lesco lawn service, John Deer Landscaping, or Toro sprinkler company? No! Keep your advertising message simple and advertise YOU, not somebody else.

If you're going to be doing their advertising for them, let them pay you for it.

I know a guy who has a distinctive color for his company. He sends all of his equipment to a body shop to be painted this color and has anything bigger than a leaf blower professionally lettered with his company name.

He understands the importance of advertising and brand recognition. He has been very successful over the years.
  5. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Do your customers really care what brand of equipment you are using? Or do they just want you to do a good job?
  6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Co-Op Ads are a good way to cut down your overhead. I would not consider advertising any other company without a similar campaign for mine (or they offer me a discounted rate, referrals, etc.) A one-sided ad campaign is counter-productive. Don't let Lesco offend you. Their mowers are "OK" at best anyhow! Using a comparison chart against similar mowers, Lesco does not come out "slugging".
  7. JohnsonLawn

Guess I was pushing the brand loyalty thing a little to far. Their mowers my not be the best by overall standards, but I was using alot of their products and had great confidence and success with them, so to me they where the best. Just trying to stand behind my dealer and the manufacturer.
  8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer was one of my sponsors for our oval snowmobile race team. I have his name plus others names/products on my trailer, he helped me there and with parts. Bad thing about it, he probably makes out better then me, all 5 of my cub mowers seem to not break/need parts. He also sells me the mowers a little cheaper and 10-20% off parts when needed.
  9. JohnsonLawn

So you have Cub logos on your trailer and equipment, but I am getting the run around from Lesco. I knew it was possible.
  10. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Here is my truck and trailer, on the back in the bottom left hand corner of the trailer is a co-op ad for the graffix company that did the set up for the lettering. They paid $200 towards the lettering job for that spot.

Picture 029.jpg