MR16 Pathlights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting, Jan 7, 2008.

1. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I was looking through some 'new to me' manufacturers and came across the Winona Winscape JEBR pathlight. It is a pretty typical looking pathlight except for its use of an MR16 lamp.

Other then Sundown Designs, can you direct me to other copper or brass pathlights that make use of MR16 lamps?

Thanks.

2. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

James, just curious about your interest in an MR 16 for the path light.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Purely selfish interest on my part Mike. I figure have found a very good LED MR16 lamp and if I can integrate that into a line of pathlights I am further ahead of the game in terms of LED integration and service requirements system wide.

So far not many responses here.

I know that Sundown Designs makes a number of pathlights using MR16 lamps, but we have not had a great rapport in the past. They seemed very difficult to deal with and were more interested in filling up my shop with inventory then they were in distributing to me on an as needed basis. I like using stocking distributors when ever I can... It makes live much easier at the border too.

Have a great day.

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike Gambino's branded pathlights use MR-16s as I recall. Wonder who makes them for him?

5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's a Winona pathlight I found:

[​IMG]

Here's one of Gambino's (to gauge scale, that pop-up sprinkler is about 1.5 in. across... so the pathlight must be 8 to 10 in. across the hat and 20 to 24 in. tall ???)

[​IMG]

Anyone else remember a short-lived foray into lighting by Rain Bird called Nightbird?

As I recall it was one basic fixture, all stainless steel, designed to use different attachments to make it into an uplight or a pathlight. (This was about 15 to 20 years ago and I can't find any info or photos using Google.)

Unfortunately, Rain Bird is one of those companies that when they pull a product off the market makes it very hard to find any reference to it.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

I seem to recall that Mike G. was pretty tight with Sundown Designs for a while. Perhaps he is having them manufacture it, or he just borrowed the idea of the MR16 pathlight from Sundown and is having it made to his spec. somewhere else. I will ask him at the Conference, but I really doubt he will tell.

The winnona fixture you posted is the same one I found Gregg... Now to find others to compliment it.

Thanks.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

If memory serves me Mike Gambino helped develop or design the sundown line. Quite similar in apearance to his path ??? Sundown. Winonna and Gambinos are the only ones I am aware of. I have never used one but was looking at the sundowns just today.

Dont assume sundown makes his or he copied sundown.

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

No worries Billy, I am not assuming anything when it comes to Mike G. :) It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I just thought it would be interesting to start looking for others who are using MR16 Pathlights.

Perhaps Nate & Team will come up with something like this... Copper would be preferred.

Thanks.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I spoke with Mike Gambino tonight to verify I did in fact have it straight. He did design the MR fixture for sundown and no, Sundown does NOT make his path for him. Gambino innovated the MR16 pathlight.

The sundown was originally a bi-pin which Todd the owner of sundown modified on Mike's recomendation to accept the Mr16 lamp

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Interesting, thanks Billy. I knew that Gambino and Todd were pretty tight for a while (if not still)

I actually like a few of the products that Sundown has in their line. I wonder if they are more easy to deal with now then in the past. Does anyone here have a relationship with them?

Have a great day.