1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mrs. Joans Wants Me To Fertilize Her 152,460 Sq ' Yard

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Daner, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Guys...Mrs Joans has elected me to run an Organic fert. program on her 152,460 Sq' Lawn. She also said that I was the nicest Lawn guy that she has ever met:) ...Now How do I present the price to This nice Lady...without giving here heart failure...She wants nothing but pure...100% Organics on her lawn,no manures of any kind. Just picking up the material...I will have the pickup and the 12 foot trailer loaded to the hilt.
    How would you tackle this project?...Wondering how our pricing and ideas differ .
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't give her a price FIRST?

And you already bought the product?

Is organic more money than traditional ferts?
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

3.5 acres. Hmm whats your costs on materials? Our grange here makes a nice organic mix. covers 5000 sqft per bag so say 31 bags or so. they charge 13.20 a bag so we are looking at 410 for materials. probably take a couple of hours to walk that much maybe a bit more. so figure 100 per hour for 3 hrs and materials and charger her 710. then when she has a heart attack tell her what your synthetic price would be. most likely around 1/2.
    The thing is do you want to sell her organic or not. Organic lasts longer and if kept up will have a better effect over a longer period of time. in the long run will actually cost less but initial costs scare most people off unless they are organic to the bone.
  4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Were you planning on doing all 152k for a full program? I like to break the big lawns into sections to generate more business. I usually recommend early spring and early fall ferts for the entire lawn, and break it down differently for the rest of the lawn depending on boundaries and the overall layout (usually 10-20k). This way you can diversify the program without going overboard on the price (unless money is not an object). It also shows you want to keep the entire lawn healthy, and make the high visibility areas look great while trying to save them money at the same time.
  5. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Daner

Have you worked out how much fertilizer you need? (manures are organics like good ol' Milorganite the fertilizer that made Milwaukee famous, check with the folks at the Guelph Turfgrass Institute at the College). I'm confused as to the issue here, presenting the price or working out the price. We used to do a baby golf course here in town and the fairways at 7 acres would take half a day with a tow behind spreader with a 20 foot pattern and that was with a Gator doing about 10 mph. Don't sell the ZD yet. If she is ordering organics only I suspect she already has a handle on the price. Some times a line by line pricing of the job helps break down the sticker shock at the bottom
  6. Daner

No I never gave her the price...and No I never picked up the materials for the first aplacation.

ohhh yaaaaa Organics are more money...44 lbs bags ...10lbs per K...

7. Daner

10 lbs per k...my bags are 44 lbs...so 10 bags per acre 3.5= 35 bags x44=1540 lbs.

I'm waiting for the soil test to come back...can't wait for that part.

Heather...I use an electric spreader...like you 10 mph and its empty real fast.

This Is a very expensive job.
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Have you considered using soft rock Phosphate and Sulfate of Potash as part of your organic applications. Soft Rock Phosphate will contain calcium as well as sulfur. Both are mined materials that meet OMRI specifications. ( not all SOP meets organic spec) I would also consider micorrhizia applications as well as a Bio Stimulant to make the best of whats already there. Soy meal/Cgm for a N and protien source. Humate applications also.
  9. Daner

No... I have not considered that approach...I,m using a 5-1-5 Alfalfa blend for the first few applications once i get the soil test back i can make some adjustments.
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

You will find that most organic ferts are very low in major nutrient content.(NPK) The addition of mined minerals such as the rock phosphate will allow you to apply nutrients in larger amounts at much less cost and still maintain a organic program. (the blackrock Phosphate mined in Beauford Nc actually contains about 5% N as well). Once the soil test results have been returned, you can start looking for the best sources of mined minerals to supplement your plant based fertilizers.