MS441 Magnum to MS660?

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by Guest, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

The 660 is one of the betterr saws Stihl makes. ouch that hurt saying that... Im a husky guy.
    I run a 660 at work at times. I tend to grab the husky 385 more but the 660 is good.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I currently have an MS 441 Magnum w/ 25" bar, but have been contemplating stepping up to an MS 660? We have lots of big timber on 120 acres and I do some tree work as well. I've heard nothing but good things about the 660s. Any thoughts?

3. Chris McCrary

Chris McCrary LawnSite Member

Unless your getting into huge trees I dont see a need for a 660. IMO. Now if you just want a bigger saw then go for it, but seems like if the tree is that big just make double cuts. The 660 is a beast for sure but it is heavy and I think a 440/441 will get most jobs done. keep a sharp chain and go to work.

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

we have two 460magnums that we use very often. I think they have a good power to weight ratio. I just recently did a muffler mod to one of them and it does make a difference. From what I've been reading on arboristsite.com is that a properly modded 460 runs like a stock 660.

5. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

I'm about 210lb and 5''10 I have a 660 magnum and it's pretty dual purpose but it wasnt always that way. I was always using my ms 260 pro when one day it died or i lost the bar or something.. I slapped a 20 or 22 inch bar on my 660 mag and a brand new blade. First thing I did to that brand new blade was take my flat file and grind 2 or 3 swipes from my cutting height on the blade.

At first that thing was a bear and I was getting fatigued in no time but after 8 or 10 days I got so strong I could wield that 600 mag like it was the 260. It takes some getting used to but it will cut through logs as fast as a hot saw.

It was a bit of a pain switching back and fourth to 46 inch bar for the big stuff but well worth it (Atlanta, GA) city of trees. We have some big trees.

When I fixed my 260 pro and used it it was WAY too slow for me and I mostly do limbing with it then i pull out the butter knife.