MSMA 6.6 Legislation

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tstop, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Tstop

Tstop LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what is going on with MSMA 6.6 I heard it was already banned in Florida. Does anyone know what it's fate is here in Michigan. This is a product we use and I'm just curious if I need to stock up or change products. Thanks

2. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

The EPA registration on MSMA was up on Aug. 9th, and EPA said no. They weren't going to reregister MSMA, DMSA, or Cacodylic Acid. That means we only have 60 days from 8/09 to buy the product, but you can use any existing stock until it's gone so stock up.

3. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone else confirm this? No more MSMA after what is in stock is gone?

4. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

From http://www.epa.gov/agriculture/news/index.html

Aug 9:

EPA has released its Reregistration Eligibility Decision for the organic arsenical herbicides MSMA, DSMA, CAMA, and cacodylic acid, and has opened a public comment period on this document. The Agency has determined that all products containing MSMA, DSMA, CAMA, and cacodylic acid are not eligible for reregistration. These herbicides are used primarily on cotton and turf, including golf courses, home lawns, recreational areas such as school yards and athletic fields, and rights-of-way. While EPA has identified some risk associated with the direct use of these herbicides, the Agency's primary concern is the potential for applied organic arsenical products to transform to a more toxic inorganic form of arsenic in soil with subsequent transport to drinking water. Comments, identified by ID number EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0201, must be received on or before October 10, 2006.

Sorry to copy and paste, but found this interesting. Seems like the main reason for not reregistering it is because of ground water contamination.

Seems funny, because most of us who actually use msma generally only spot treat with it. One of the places we buy chems from sells ag products too, and they sell a ton of msma to farmers. Makes you wonder why we all get punished, most of the agriculure use chems/ferts are the reason there is so much ground water contamination in our area (mainly high nitrates). We have to all consider our environment, but it seems as if the gov. steps in on us who actually practice ipm, and not the ag business's overuse of products. I guess that is because of all of the gov. subsidies, making the farmer rely on the gov. I guess the government feels that it has to be part of everything.

5. hmartin

I talked to Lance Wormell, Special review and registration division, at 703-603-0523. He works for the EPA. He said he has never seen a decision of this status be reversed. The scientific evidence put forth by the EPA would have to be disproven for MSMA to not be taken off the market.

6. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

i have never seen so many people lay down and take this. contact your turfgrass associations contact your congressman, do something. i havealready done these and have been told enough people get behind this cause and it will be overturned

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Alot of your older chemicals are getting the boot. Dursban, some carbaryls, bayleton might lose it's residential labeling, PCNB for snow mold is (probably) going to be pulled.

8. hmartin

Has anyone heard the latest word on MSMA?? Merry Christmas.

9. steve's total lawn care

steve's total lawn care LawnSite Member

Yeah i just got a letter from my dept of agriculture and they are going to allow more time on the EPAs decision of MSMA till jan the 19th check back then and i will let you know the EPAs results as i will be getting another letter from the state dept of ag within that time frame.