MSMA and centipede

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Jun 26, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Any help here will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Here goes: I've done extensive research on dallisgrass in centipede. I've sprayed it with the lowest rate of "Vantage" and nothing is happening. University of TN did a lot of test on dallisgrass--Conclusion "nothing works when attempting to save other grasses when controlling dallisgrass"
    This weekend I'm going to use lowest AI of MSMA plus the lowest AI of "Vantage", use a handheld with very low pressure and spray (dribble) each rossett or clump, trying to keep it off the centipede grass, withhold irrigation for a day. I'll reapply MSMA in about 14 days as suggested by the study . Problem is that MSMA will kill the dallisgrass and with everything else it touches. Centipede is growing well now and stolens should recoup the bare spots.
    Like I said any help or suggestions would help in controlling dallisgrass--probably the most difficult grassy weed out there.
    Thanks
    Roy

2. f150intally

f150intally LawnSite Member

so the vantage did not work? Were you only trying to kill dallisgrass or do you have others like bahia?

3. RAlmaroad

from SC

The "Vantage" has not even began to wilt the dallisgrass. Yes, I'm only trying to get rid of it because it's habit prevents stolen from attaching to ground. The stuff spreads quickly and is tuff. Most other weeds are under control. All together there's not much over 100sf but it is here and there all over the yard and more prevelent in the cooler shady parts. Label calls for 1.33, but I'm going to use only 1.0/K plus the "Vantage" with surfacant. I've pulled and dug out wheelbarrows of it this year. This is only in my yard and not in the other few that I take care of. "Vantage" did not hurt the centipede though, but it really should be used earlier when temps are cooler. Thanks Roy

4. f150intally

can you enlighten me on how much Vantage to mix with how much water. I've been told .75 ounces/gallon of water but according to the label, it seems to be calling for 2 ounces/gallon of water for spot application dilution. I'm confused on whether or not bahia grass is cosnidered to be up 12" grass height or 6" grass height. the label calls for 3 ounces/gallon of water for 12" grass height. Which one should I go with?

5. lorensanders

lorensanders LawnSite Member

try spraying certainty!

6. RAlmaroad

from SC

Give me a week or so. I've got tests spots all over a vacant lot in SC--Sorta looks like graveyard with little stakes with numbers on them. The .75 AI does hardly nothing. I'm giving the 1.25AI a second shot this weekend and yet another with a second shot of MSMA (Weak) and yet another with MSMA (Weak) and 1.25 AI. Something will work.
    "Vantage" according to company "should be used much earlier when the weather is cooler. Hot weather could stunt the roots of centipede." The .75 IS the recommendation for heat.
    Roy
    PS--I did a lot of testing on the sedges this way. After a month--well, you wouldn't believe it until you saw what happened.

7. f150intally

Cool, i look forward to seeing your results. What are the ambient temps there right now?