MSMA and overseeding

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hdtvluvr, Mar 28, 2007.

1. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I applied 2,4 D this past weekend for onions, etc. I have other weeds that will need MSMA. When can MSMA be applied? I've heard that it needs to be hot (summer) to work. Is this true?

I also want to overseed (bermuda). When should this be done? I was wondering if I could do it soon to take advantage of the April showers. After overseeding how long does one need to wait before applying MSMA?

I have about 2 acres to overseed.

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

You wasted your time spraying onions with 2-4,d this late. Onions are about the quit growing, so you may think you did some good. You will see them all over again next winter.
    All your MSMA questions can be answered from the label. Around Memphis, I would wait until it was Mid-May and 80 to 85 degrees before trying MSMA. Spray it 3 times about 7 to 10 days apart. One application will not completely kill many weeds. Keep spraying the MSMA and fertilizing and your bermuda will be great. You will be surprised how much the bermuda that you have already will spread with by using a good fert.

3. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

What do you consider good fertilizer? Triple 13? Or somthing else? I looked for Triple 13 last year and couldn't find any. I think I ended up with 10-10-10.