MSMA might be history - action needed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I was informed last week that the EPA was considering not renewing the registration for MSMA, a commonly used herbicide in our industry.

Without MSMA, we have no economical option for postemergent crabgrass control. Most importantly, it is used in combination with newer chemicals to control Dallisgrass and Goosegrass. The new chemicals are not very effective without MSMA in conjunction.

This will not be in our favor, so if you could please view the following link.

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-PEST/2006/August/Day-09/p12905.htm

The link contains instructions on comments can be submitted by people opposed to the decision. We only have a short period of time to submit comments.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

BUMP to the top!

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps sticky is in order.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

BUMP!
    I don't like the sound of this.
    I agree.
    STICKY please.

5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Without MSMA I will be out of business. If I get a new customer with tons of crabgrass, what will I use? I cannot afford or charge enough to blanket a lawn with Drive.

Every new account I get has dallisgrass. The dallisgrass is spotted thoughout the lawn and without MSMA I would have to tell the prospective customer that I cannot help them.

Bermuda and MSMA are made for each other.

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

your a dork if you think you will be out of business!

if nobody has it,,,,everyone will be on the same playing field. you will be forced to roundup spray and add sodding as a service for an extra charge.

you could roundup spray the spot and reseed or resod. you could use this product, which i already use giving me a headstart on my competition www.crabgrassalert.com the professional product is reasonably priced.

bottom line is NOTHING should worry you about being put out of business,,,,you should focus on changing/evolving with your industry tho.

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm glad that i live in the north, have crabgrass? wait 'till first hard frost and it's gone, just apply pre-m in the spring and be done. (aeraton and overseed help also, along w/ good culture practice)

8. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Norm Al you are a dork. Please stay in the organics forum. To many people lawn fert/herbicide treatment is a luxury item. A beautiful lawn is not a necessity. If the price doubles, many will opt for other items/services.

Hybrid bermuda is not grown by seed and spot spraying Roundup throughout a lawn and laying new sod all because of crabgrass is just plain stupid.

Sprinkle some of your crabgrass alert crap on dallisgrass and see what happens.

9. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

MSMA is a "must have" for my business. I will petition or do whatever it takes to keep it in production.

Thanks TU for reminding me about this!

LJ

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sounds like some of u need to stock up