MSMA on Fescue!?!?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SoonerTurf, Aug 24, 2007.

1. SoonerTurf

SoonerTurf LawnSite Member

I was wondering what type of program should be done on cool season turf grass such as fescue in northeastern oklahoma. The company I used to work for in oklahoma city refused fescue customers. I don't see that working around the Tulsa area for so many customers having mixed fescue and bermuda as well as some having all fescue lawns. Other companies treat them during early spring and late fall only, while doing some broadleaf treatments during summer. I had one customer state that thier company treats crabgrass with MSMA in his fescue?!?!?! :hammerhead: I just wanted to see what type of program to set up for cool season turfs.

2. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to you local lesco rep. They will be able to set you up with a program best suited for your area.

By the way, I treat crabgrass in an all fescue lawns with no problems. As long as temps are not too high and its watered off the grass blade in a couple of days. I haven't had a problem yet. Knock on wood.

3. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

We are in a severe drought here and I just bit the bullet and sprayed for broadleaf and crab last week because my lawns can not really be anymore stressed. If a company is treating crab with msma they better be careful because it is the first chem to burn in the summer months. I try to spray msma only in the wee early mornings and only as a suppresion method of controlling dallis grass. MSMA is cheap and I would only use it if I ran out of Drive.