MSMA vs. Dallis Grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PicturePerfectLawns, Apr 13, 2014.

1. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

I would love to hear from someone such as Green Doctor or someone who has experience with the old MSMA. At what rate per g would knock out this Dallisgrass? Green Doc, if you see this, this isn't for my lawn we talked about. However, I have a customer that has .75 of an acre. The complete back yard is covered in Dallas Grass that's growing at about 6-8" per week, 12-16" every two weeks. It's out of control and I can't even begin to catch up with this stuff. I did some homework and it seems like MSMA 6 should do the trick in two apps spread about 15 days apart. The lawn is a St. Augustine lawn or should I say Dallis Grass Lawn. The entire back is D. Grass. After I begin thinking about it, I think this lawn is probably how I spread the Dallis Grass to my lawn. I'm willing to bet putting my mower on that lawn then going to mine is what gave me the issue in my own lawn! :hammerhead:

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

It requires the 2 oz per 1000 rate. Had to have simazine and Image DG to effect more than a top kill. Very hard on the lawn. I just caught the part where you said this was supposed to be St Augustine. Then you cannot use MSMA. You are better off spot treating with RoundUp.

3. PicturePerfectLawns

Green Doc, I don't know what I was thinking. I just realized and you are correct. MSMA is no good for the St. Augustine. Should have known better. Seems like this would have been effective on the Zoysia and DG, however. I found a good deal on some quarts and winded up picking some up. So I'll keep them if I ever run across the problem on my lawn anymore. So you're saying Treating the lawn with RU and letting the SA feel back in? It isn't going to be much of a spot treatment. More of a LAWN TREATMENT. When I say this back yard is filled with DG, I mean nearly the whole .75 of an acre. The front lawn is a .25 acre, but there's no DG up there, all simple clover. The back lawn and DG is the real issue I'm facing. Nearly the whole back lawn is DG and steadily getting worse by the day.

4. greendoctor

More like plan on wiping out the back and reestablishing SA. You might want to think if SA is even the best grass for that lawn.

5. PicturePerfectLawns

Green Doc, I wish that was an option. I have a hard enough time getting the woman to pay me the money I need to cut her tall DG and putting wear and tear on my equipment. I'll be lucky if I can sell her some apps to take care of it!

6. BikePilot

BikePilot LawnSite Member

Going to show my ignorance and probably open a can of worms, but here goes!

I thought MSMA was no longer allowed no matter what they label says after December 31, 2013. Additionally looking at MSMA 6 label isnt it only for agriculture, right of way, and sod farm use. Please corect me on the cutoff date if I am wrong.

This is meant for clarification not an attack on anyones practices.

7. greendoctor

Any kind of weed areas are built into my fee structure. I do not mow weed patches. They are scheduled for conversion into a recognizable species of turf. Want me to mow a weed patch for cheap? Then I am not the right fit for your needs

8. BikePilot

BikePilot LawnSite Member

If anyone can clarify what i posted above about msma and msma 6 please do. I dont want to put out incorrect info.

9. greendoctor

Old label products may be used up in compliance with that old label. A larger mess would be created by confiscating and having to dispose of it. However, all products sold now are to have the new label restricting use to cotton, sod farms, and golf courses.

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you sure? I had the same impression of it as Bikepilot.

I bought a signifigant amount on Dec 30, 2010 with the old label. I have some left but had decided I was only going to be able to use it in my pasture or arrange for disposal.

In fact, I removed it from the shop and have it stored in my garage so there would be absolutely no misunderstanding if there were to be an inspection by the plant board