MSMA vs. Dallis Grass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PicturePerfectLawns, Apr 13, 2014.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

2. BikePilot

BikePilot LawnSite Member

Thanks Doc, old label is good till gone. Wish they would convene and figure out its not such a problem if we use it

3. greendoctor

Some of the ground water data is flawed. My understanding is that in some areas of the country, arsenic is naturally present in the water. Also, if it were such a problem, a lot of people would be dead by now. Especially in Hawaii, where crabgrass and goosegrass grow 12 months out of the year.

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

The EPA's reasoning is flawed also...No sale or use except to cotton farmers, sod farms an golf courses :hammerhead:

Every one of them in close proximity to water sources. A clear case of money talks, BS walks.

I've got no problem with them taking it off the shelves at Wal-Mart and Lowes or HD. Common folk aren't responsible enough for chems sold at big box stores IMO. I agree with that so make it an RUP

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It ain't going to hurt you mower and if this is the first time you run into it in Texas you are lucky. Using RU or MSMA will leave an ugly sceen. Get 10 guys and dig it out if they are picky. Sounds like they don't care.

6. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

ed2hess, not the first time I ran into it in our area. In fact, I'm fighting it in my personal lawn as we speak. However, the lawn I'm speaking of is not a lawn, but rather a "Dallis Grass" field, literally. As for not hurting the mower, I have to disagree. The stuff grows faster than Rye grass on 10 lbs. of nitrogen. I don't know if you read my post, but I smoked a belt on my commercial in this tall stuff not long ago. I can only imagine how much strain it puts on the transmission. It may take years to break it down, but it's strain that the mower doesn't have to endure. I came up with a new solution for it, either the lawn gets treated or I don't mow it. It's that simple. I got enough work. Kind of like Green Doc said, about not mowing weeds. I have enough work to where I don't need to mow it, nor do I have too. I already gave her the option, it get's treated or I can't mow it.

7. greendoctor

Sounds to me like she needs a new lawn person and you need a customer that wants the best possible lawn care. When someone starts negotiating or asking how much if this is not done, etc, they need someone else. Your name puts an image in my head of someone who maintains nice lawns. People walking by notice. In my area, it is understood that I do not cost the same as the operations where 3-5 guys jump out and have weed whackers blazing to hack down a brush patch. I have to ask myself "do I want people to see me step out of my truck and walk into this". I can do it if people see me rolling my mower onto fairway quality bermuda or zoysia. I can do it if it turns from brush patch to lawn in 60 days.