MSO and Celcius

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Sep 7, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Read a few threads on the MSO mix and Celcius. Seems there is a wide range of acceptable rates of MSO added.

What are you guys using and how do you like the results? 1% solution? 1/2%? 1/4%?

2. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Believe the Bayer recommendation is .5-1%. Curious your results at the high end or low end.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. BikePilot

BikePilot LawnSite Member

I did a spot spray with MSO at .5% and Celsius max rate using back pack sprayer. It was the standard wand so I know it wasn't as precise as a fixed volume fan nozzle. However, I had a lot of "yellowing" of the bermuda with this mix. Weather; temps 95, high humidity.

I did this mix on the recommendation of my local JDL guy who said he had been to training and that with 2 apps of Celsius alone spread at 14 to 21 days apart they were killing Dallisgrass. I have an account I do that has a large open area with bermuda and all other weeds including dallisgrass that I can test things on because this area isn't part of my contract and is not seen by others. I am coming up on the 14 to 21 day window and will apply second app first next week so we will see, I don't think its going to happen. I used the MSO but he says it doesn't need to be used with Celsius. From my experience I like to use it but I plan to reduce the amount on the second app and see the how the bermuda reacts.

4. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Your JDL guy is absolutely wrong on the dallisgrass control. Also wrong on not using mso or a non ionic.

Bermuda in that heat will yellow for about 10 days then it come right out of it.

5. BikePilot

BikePilot LawnSite Member

The bermuda recovered easy but I agree I think he is smoking something saying the Celsius alone will control Dallisgrass. I told him I would give it a try and report back. One thing he did say was that it need to be applied during September to get the control.