MSO vs regular surfactant question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassman177, Aug 9, 2011.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I have long used a surfactant(non ionic of course) called induce with my apps of surge and q4.

it gets pretty ok control as long as the weeds are in good health. but i have talked with a few of you on here about using mso instead and the benefits of it for spraying crabgrass etc.

thing is, i know my limits of the induce and temps/drought stress .

my question is do i have to be more careful with mso for possible burn>? never used it, also, would u use a low, med or high rate along with q4?

thanks

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto on that question here as well. I just bought a 5 gal case today. I plan to use it tomorrow. I ordered through BWI because it is not something kept in stock around here. I plan to use it in combo with celsius for hopefully enhanced crabgrass control and the Celsius label recommends it. While temps have cooled somewhat here, we will still be in the low to mid 90's for the next 4-5 days.Didn't mean to hijack your thread grassman, I just have the same concerns. I will read the label this evening but just wondered if someone had a quick answer to my biggest question.

3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe riggle can do some side by side tests for us using each?

4. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

I think mso will burn turf, me and my tech burned a few last week with solitare + mso. I believe it was the mso. It was just bermuda. So idk, we are running without mso this week..so I guess I will find out soon enough.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

i use .33oz per 1000 with celcius and had good results. Not as good on mature crab though. I use non ionic with other apps, except some pbi gordon products that don't call for it. MSO is more expensive, but i've only used it with celcius.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

So sorry, I would like to experiment with MSO non-ionic spreader sticker/wetting agents.
    However, I do not have any such products (anymore), and I cannot justify buying a whole gallon to use an ounce for an experiment. I mosty used costly silicone-type surfactants like Drench and Lesco Hawkeye. Except for the cheap treatments of late fall when I used detergents. Retired now.

7. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Riggle,

What if some showed up in your mailbox?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Guess you know we will all go to pot now!!!

Enjoy retirement.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

7 responses, but still unsure of what to expect. i appreciate the celcius response, but too dif to compare i think.

i would think the penetrating abilities of the mso might make it more prone to turf injury and so i want to be prepared. nothing worse than spraying something and it not working properly. ihave never burnt anything on turf with the mix i use now, but i was light on the induce rate(surfactant) and recently upped the rate with no issues but little actual use with that rate too, just one day.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Four ounces would be enough.