Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Landscaping, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

How much to rops cost on a scag tiger cub. I have them but there off the mower and in perfect condition. I wanna sell them on ebay but i dont know what i should price them at, what do u guys all think? Thanks
  2. TomB

TomB LawnSite Member

They are about $500.00. You might want to keep them if you plan to sell or trade them in in the future.
  3. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

I am not planning on selling the mower or trading it in. I have already put stickers on it and painted it. Thank you for the price quote.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think everyone that has bought a commercial mower in the last 2 years has a ROPS leaning against the side of their shop... Look at the scrap metal value though??? steel is worth quite a lot right now...
  5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sure they can be much more valuable on your machine. What happens if you have a workplace injury? What happens when your employee tells his lawyer that you disabled factory installed safety devices? What happens when your workers comp insurance refuses to pay? What happens when you now work for your employee?
  6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I too question about getting rid of them. If they are off and you really dont want them on your mower, put them away, out of your way, for future use. You never know what the future holds. We have ROPs too and most of the time they are folded down out of our way. But we also have some extremely steep turf that we maintain and up they go with seatbelts on! We have hired help running these mowers as well as ourselves, so with that said the ROPs are staying on!:)
  7. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I heard somewhere that OSHA was making those mandatory. I don't know if that was for sales or what, but I do know that if you roll your mower, there's nothing you can do in court for injuries if those are off the mower. I'd keep them around just in case.:usflag:

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

They will cost you 600 bucks in my area new,dealer cost is guessing 450.
  9. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

OSHA has required ROPS on mowers for many years (20 horse or larger used in a commercial application). You have always been able to order ROPS, manufactures started installing them.

You are correct if there is an injury & ROPS have been removed it will be an open and shut case
  10. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone seems to always make a stink about taking the ROPS off of their mower.

Some people live in places where ROPS just are not practical. Here in FL, unless you are mowing an overpass on the side of the interstate, you probably dont need them.

I have mowed hundreds of yards and never once thought to myself, "maybe i need my ROPS before I cut this section of grass".

Plus, try mowing around some orange trees with the ROPS, it just pulls the branches and knocks off all the fruit.

If I lived in NC or NY where the landscapes are not so simple and there was truly a danger of rolling the machine, then there would be no question about it.