Mtd 14.5hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Trkcat_Ga, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Trkcat_Ga

Trkcat_Ga LawnSite Member

Its a MTD / ACE 14.5 HP lawn tractor ..... it was free but it doesnt start. I have no idea whats wrong with it and know its at least 3-4 years old.

Is it even worth taking to the shop?

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

That's probably a 38" deck with manual shift on the fly. You could check on eBay and see what they are selling for, not much as I recall.

To give you some idea, my dealer charges $250 to get a riding mower ready for spring. That includes change all filters, change oil, grease all fittings, sharpen & balance blades, new plugs, labor to change battery if needed (battery extra), pickup and delivery up to fifteen miles.

For repairs they will call you with the cost of parts and labor once they have it diagnosed, but if you decline the repair they still charge for the labor they have in it.

3. Trkcat_Ga

Looks like it may sell for a little more than the spring start up price. I'm gonna take a closer look at it and see if I can get it started.

Thanks for the info

4. Trkcat_Ga

Besides a couple flat tires it ran for a breif min but wont start by the key switch. It did turn over the first half dozen times with the key then just stopped working. Anyone know if there is a fuse Im missing somewhere that may be inline from the key switch or the battery?

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Some has a fuse back by the battery near the solenoid and some are under the hood on the right side near the dash along side of the fuel tank.

6. Trkcat_Ga

Thx, I'll take a look for it and see if thats my problem.